memory reads lower then suppose to SOLVED

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdquince

memory reads lower then suppose to SOLVED

Post by mdquince »

not sure where to post this so forgive me if its in the wrong place but with my new computer I am suppose to have 6GB OF RAM at 1600 mhz but when I looked in system monitor is says only 3.2GB of ram and at the start of my computer is say only 1066 mhz. the company says it only show 3.2GB OF RAM because I'm running a 32 bit OS. is that ture and what about the 1066 instead of 1600 mhz. I want to know what I'm talking about before I call them and accuse them of lying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: memory reads lower then suppose to

Post by Aging Technogeek »

It is true that most 32 bit Operating Systems cannot address more than about 3.25 Gb of RAM.

The 1066 vs. 1600 MHz question leads to another question. Is your installed RAM DDR2 or DDR3? And, if it is DDR3, is it DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) or DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800).

DDR2-1066 (PC2-8500) is the fastest DDR2 memory at 1066 million data transfers per second.

DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) is as fast as DDR2-1066, but is exceeded in speed by DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) at 1600 million dts.

The values above are maximums for overclocked systems. Your computer may be using DDR3-1600 at a reduced clock rate to match the CPU input parameters or just to allow lower power dissipation with reduced heating and increased component lifetimes.

For more detail see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

Hope this helps you.
mdquince

Post by mdquince »

WOW...i got what I asked for...lol thanks and that is perfect info but how can I get it to run at 1600 and it is ddr3 or should I just leave it alone. do not want new computer to burn house down...lol it's a i7-920 and just how much memory do I need to run my computer anyway with mint 8. I have 6GB BUT I JUST TOOK OUT A MEMORY STICK SO NOW I'M RUNNING 4GB. I DO NOT PLAY GAMES SO I REALLY DO NOT NEED ALL THE MEMORY DO I??
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you run Mint 8 Main Edition 32 bit you can only use just over 3 Gb. Even in 64 bit you would not need that much memory unless you were doing some intense computations or high level video or audio editing. For most day to day users, 2 Gb is more than adequate.

Also, be aware that 64 bit systems use 25-35% more Ram for the same functions than 32 bit systems use. Mainly due to the increased size of individual memory site addresses.

As for speeding up your memory, I can't help you. I have never overclocked a computer and I never will. I don't believe the benefits outweigh the increases in wear and tear on the components.
mdquince

Post by mdquince »

you are so right. i just got off the phone with tech support and if i over clock this computer and something happens to it, they will not cover it. but it did show me how to get the mhz to 1600 like it should be and the computer is 1.5 seconds faster.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

SPEED ??

:shock: . . . my car has an estimated 615 Hp . . . but, I can't get more than 170 mph out of it ??

Oh . . . uhh, wrong topic thread. :lol: I guess "I" need more memory.

Return to “Hardware Support”