Keyboar Layout Issue

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Keyboar Layout Issue

Postby caseylinux on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm having issue with my keyboard layout. I've read others that have to do with nationality, but mine is a little weirder, as the two layouts don't seem different except one allows my right alt to work and the other doesn't. When I log in and check the keyboard layout it's at "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC" with both Ireland and USA options in the Layout box
Keylay1.png
Keylay1.png (35.23 KiB) Viewed 328 times
. When I click "Reset to Defaults" the "Ireland" disappears (though if I had simply selected USA instead of clicking "Reset to Defaults" the right alt wouldn't have worked... I've tried it).
keylay2.png
keylay2.png (35.03 KiB) Viewed 328 times
. I click "Apply System-Wide" enter my password and I'm good to go for that entire session. When I check back to see what the keyboard layout says, while the default layout is in place and my right alt key is working, it looks like this
keylay3.png
keylay3.png (34.74 KiB) Viewed 328 times
. The next time I log in, though, the same problem persists. In order to get my right alt key back I have to go through the process of clicking "Reset to Defaults".

Any suggestions?
caseylinux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Keyboar Layout Issue

Postby remoulder on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:18 pm

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Keyboar Layout Issue [SOLVED]

Postby caseylinux on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I did search the forums before I posted this question. I didn't, however, find the discussion you linked to. Thank you for taking the time to post that, it helped solve the problem. I used this:
gconftool-2 --type list --list-type string --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd/layouts [us]
and it stuck. Now even logging in and out it stays on US and my right alt key works! :D
caseylinux
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keyboar Layout Issue

Postby remoulder on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:50 am

Glad you got it working :)
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Return to Hardware Support