Digital camera problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fletcher

Digital camera problem

Post by fletcher »

I have a Kodak EasyShare C913 digital camera. It has worked fine with every other OS I have tried, Windows and Linux. But when I plug it into my computer now, on Mint 7 XFCE CE, I get nothing. No camera folder, no icon on the desk top, no indication at all that I have plugged in a camera. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fletcher

Re: Digital camera problem

Post by fletcher »

Cannot get it to connect on the other computer on which I installed Mint, either.

The camera connected and worked fine in XP, Vista, Ubuntu, and PCLOS. Is there something I need to download or add to get it to work in Mint?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please run lsusb (with the camera connected) and post
revrick

Post by revrick »

lsusb:
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:0111 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:5c11 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 040a:05d7 Kodak Co.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I'm having the same trouble, using Elyssa on a desktop. Any help out there?
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I'll give you my "low tech" solution to the camera mounting issue:

Buy a relatively inexpensive flash to usb device. Pull your camera flash memory and insert into the adapter. Plug the adapter into a usb port and you're ready to go.

I finally got so tired of "ditzing" around with the various distro-versions trying to read digital cameras that I did this about 3 years ago. Haven't had one problem downloading pics from the camera memory (also allows me to use my default filebrowser rather than one of the bundled apps).

-DataMan
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

DataMan wrote:I'll give you my "low tech" solution to the camera mounting issue:

Buy a relatively inexpensive flash to usb device. Pull your camera flash memory and insert into the adapter. Plug the adapter into a usb port and you're ready to go.

I finally got so tired of "ditzing" around with the various distro-versions trying to read digital cameras that I did this about 3 years ago. Haven't had one problem downloading pics from the camera memory (also allows me to use my default filebrowser rather than one of the bundled apps).

-DataMan
This is my approach, too. I spent about $10 on a USB SD card reader, and it really doesn't matter anymore whether I'm using Windows, a Mac, or any Linux distro, it's always easy to get my photos from the memory card. In our family, we don't even bother with the cables that come with the cameras anymore -- wherever they are now!!!

I'm using Xfce like you are, but in a different distro. When I plug the card reader into the USB port, the card shows up in Thunar under /media. A card reader makes things very simple. Highly recommended.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

MALsPa wrote: This is my approach, too. I spent about $10 on a USB SD card reader, and it really doesn't matter anymore whether I'm using Windows, a Mac, or any Linux distro, it's always easy to get my photos from the memory card. In our family, we don't even bother with the cables that come with the cameras anymore -- wherever they are now!!!

I'm using Xfce like you are, but in a different distro. When I plug the card reader into the USB port, the card shows up in Thunar under /media. A card reader makes things very simple. Highly recommended.
$10! blimey that's an expensive SD card reader :shock: I think I paid £1 for mine ($1.50)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Carl wrote:
$10! blimey that's an expensive SD card reader :shock: I think I paid £1 for mine ($1.50)
Wow, that's great! At the Walmart stores around here, the same SD card reader I bought a couple of years ago for $9.88 (+ tax) is now being sold for $8.

In any case, $10 or $1.50, those things are worth having. Especially because lots of folks lose or misplace the cables that go from the camera to the computer, and they're kind of a hassle to replace.

I guess a lot of computers and laptops already have card readers, but mine don't.

I also have an XD card reader -- an older Fuji camera of mine only takes XD cards.
capt

Post by capt »

I had to download gThumb image viewer in M-8 gnome and all is well? I would guess you need to install a image viewer. :D
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 040a:05c6 Kodak Co.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 13b1:0020 Linksys WUSB54GC 802.11g Adapter [ralink rt73]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

The camera shows up on here, but I cannot find it anywhere on the computer.
revrick

Post by revrick »

How can you be happy and feel like an idiot at the same time? My desktop came with an SD reader, I never thought to take the dumb chip out and stick it in there, till now. Worked like a charm! :lol:
Glad Dataman didn't have my blind spot! :D
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Technology : 1
Simplicity : 9.5

:D

Glad it worked out.

-DataMan
digitelle

Post by digitelle »

Good to know that you guys got it working with a card reader.
I remember a few years ago having a similar problem. Not Mint, but Linux wouldn't recognize my digital camera when I plugged it into USB.

I actually had to change the "video format" setting on my camera from NTSC to PAL or the other way around, from PAL to NTSC (can't quite remember), and it worked with no problems. Still worked on every other system too.

Just an alternate solution, even though most Desktop and Laptop computers now come with built in card readers.

Return to “Hardware Support”