[SOLVED] LM-SENSORS WITH K10 SUPPORT!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rfurgy

[SOLVED] LM-SENSORS WITH K10 SUPPORT!

Post by rfurgy »

I have an ASUS M4A78T-E mobo with a Phenom II X3 720

I've recently started Folding@Home and would prefer being able to keep an eye on my temps. I know I'm safe for the most part because of my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heat-sink. It can keep my CPU over-clocked @ 3.4 in the low 40s under full load. Thing is I only have my system OC'ed to 3.0 just so I can be sure it's safe for the time but I would really like to get my OC back up @ 3.4. This will call for a need to monitor all of my sensors (or at least most of them).

Any and all help would be awesome, and thanks ahead of time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Need K10 Thermal Sensors Help

Post by remoulder »

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... lm+sensors. You might also want to install conky to monitor
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

Well, I've been through the whole thread at the link you sent me. I've tried various things found within. Still a no go. I have the most current lm-sensors installed (version 1:3.0.2-2ubuntu4).

sudo sensors-detect returns this:
# sensors-detect revision 5249 (2008-05-11 22:56:25 +0200)

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

We can start with probing for (PCI) I2C or SMBus adapters.
Do you want to probe now? (YES/no):
Probing for PCI bus adapters...
Use driver `i2c-piix4' for device 0000:00:14.0: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 SMBus

We will now try to load each adapter module in turn.
Module `i2c-piix4' already loaded.
If you have undetectable or unsupported I2C/SMBus adapters, you can have
them scanned by manually loading the modules before running this script.

We are now going to do the I2C/SMBus adapter probings. Some chips may
be double detected; we choose the one with the highest confidence
value in that case.
If you found that the adapter hung after probing a certain address,
you can specify that address to remain unprobed.

Some chips are also accessible through the ISA I/O ports. We have to
write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe though.
Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any ISA slots!
Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (YES/no):
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290... No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78-J' at 0x290... No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290... No
Probing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290... No
Probing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290... No
Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca0... No
Probing for `IPMI BMC SMIC' at 0xca8... No

Some Super I/O chips may also contain sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'... No
Trying family `SMSC'... No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Fintek'... No
Trying family `ITE'... Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x8720
(logical device 4 has address 0x290, could be sensors)
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'... No
Trying family `SMSC'... No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Fintek'... No
Trying family `ITE'... No

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers may also contain
embedded sensors. Do you want to scan for them? (YES/no):
Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595... No
VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors... No
VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors... No
AMD K8 thermal sensors... No
AMD K10 thermal sensors... Success!
(driver `to-be-written')
Intel Core family thermal sensor... No
Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor... No

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `to-be-written' (should be inserted):
Detects correctly:
* Chip `AMD K10 thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)

I will now generate the commands needed to load the required modules.

To load everything that is needed, add this to /etc/modules:

#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
# no driver for AMD K10 thermal sensors yet
#----cut here----

Do you want to add these lines automatically? (yes/NO)
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

rfurgy wrote:# no driver for AMD K10 thermal sensors yet
Unfortunately, you're going to have to compile this particular driver from source as per this post http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showt ... ?p=8856099

You'll need to install build-essential and the linux-kernel headers for your kernel. If you're not sure how to do this post back.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

Ok, that thread is what I've pretty much been working with. Looks like I've got it in now. Only way to read it is $ sensors in terminal. Looks somewhat accurate, but I know it's a bit low. OC'ed @ 3.0 and running 100% load from Folding@Home I should be sitting in the 30's somewhere and it's in the high 20's. Makes me think it might be the Asus mobo temp. I guess getting that patched driver in was only the first step. :cry: Interesting thing is one temp for 3 core sensors and 2 mobo sensors. AMD Overdrive in Windows is able to read the 3 CPU temps (I assume those are integrated by AMD) and the other 2 come up ASUS Mobo & ASUS CPU(ASUS CPU is mounted on the board directly under the CPU and normally runs a few degrees hotter). So I guess I need to try and figure out which sensor I have active. I'll have to heat the chip up and get a reading then cut the usage to 0% and take a reading to compare.
25.9`C @ 100% then after cutting CPU usage, dropped to 24.6`C to 24.2`C to 23.6`C and after restarting FAH it's back up and at 28.2`C. Safe to say it rules out the Mobo Temp so It's either a reading from the CPU or the Mobo sensor directly under it. Seeing it changed in a matter of seconds I'm thinking it's the AMD sensors on the chip.

Thank you for the quick help. :D

I don't think this is about the temp sensor but I did notice:
#Found unknown chip with ID 0x8720
#(logical device 4 has address 0x290, could be sensors)

A Google returned the chip ID as ITE IT8718 (for fans I believe) and I've seen some postings about an it87.
http://www.lm-sensors.org/attachment/ti ... port.patch
Not sure but it may seem that this patch should be in Karmic already but can't quite find if it is or not. Even if it is, lm-sensors isn't reading it correctly.

I also noticed:
#Use driver `i2c-piix4' for device 0000:00:14.0: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 SMBus
The chip sets for this board are AMD 790GX / SB750 but lm-sensors wants to install a driver for the SB600. Not sure if this would effect sensor detection at all because it's the south bridge unless the mobo is made to communicate sensor readings through it.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

rfurgy wrote:Not sure but it may seem that this patch should be in Karmic already but can't quite find if it is or not
Current repo version seems to be 3.0.2 whereas 3.1.2 has just been released so quite a ways behind but I guess ubuntu devs are concentrating on Lucid! Glad you're running.

rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

Dang, you're right. And here I'm trying to use 3.0.2.

Any idea how I can get 3.1.2 into my system to see if that helps?

Looks like I may have to compile this as well. If that's the case I may need some guidance, I'm still a compiling noob. :mrgreen:
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

rfurgy wrote:Any idea how I can get 3.1.2 into my system to see if that helps?
Instructions are on the lm-sensors site, looks fairly straightforward.

rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

Yeppers, you're right once again. Just got done installing it and everything seems to be awesome. :mrgreen:

Now seeing I patched in a K10temp before updating lm-sensors, should I go back to try and remove what I did?

furginator@furginator-desktop ~ $ sensors
atk0110-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
Vcore Voltage: +1.42 V (min = +0.85 V, max = +1.70 V)
+3.3 Voltage: +3.50 V (min = +2.97 V, max = +3.63 V)
+5 Voltage: +5.00 V (min = +4.50 V, max = +5.50 V)
+12 Voltage: +12.70 V (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
CPU FAN Speed: 2115 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN Speed: 2083 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN 2 Speed:2115 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
CPU Temperature: +38.0°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
MB Temperature: +32.0°C (high = +45.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +28.2°C (high = +70.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)

This part in question is what the pre 3.1.2 patch would give me.

**EDIT** Also, you wouldn't happen to know if I'd be able to make a deb out of this would you? If so how would I go about doing that? I ask because my father has the same issue with his ASUS mobo and I'd like to just transfer a deb to him so he can do an easy install as well as I'd like to get the experience of creating one.
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

I'm good now, thanks for your guidance. I've been working on this all day. :mrgreen:

Managed to create the deb package for install on the other PC.

Once again, thank you many.
Truthfinder

Re: [SOLVED] Need K10 Thermal Sensors Help

Post by Truthfinder »

Do you think you could make this deb available for me and others that might need it? I'm having the same problem...
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

The deb package I made is for AMD64. If that's what you need then I'd be glad to share. Not sure how to share it though, I'll have to look into that. Haven't found a good app to monitor it yet, but that's ok cuz I can just check it in terminal.

I was also thinking of writing up a step by step of what I did to achieve the end results.

I suppose for now if anyone needs it, blip me your email I could send it that way. At least till I can figure out a more accessible way.
Truthfinder

Post by Truthfinder »

I need the 32 bit version. Perhaps a step by step of what you did would help me and others who might want to try... Thanks
ShakeyJake

Post by ShakeyJake »

Hello, new poster here!

I would love the 64-bit .deb package if you wouldn't mind rfurgy. I have been trying to get lm-sensors working for ages on my Phenom II. YGPM.
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

lm-sensors 3.1.2
Works with k10 sensors.

Download links below

I didn't bother renaming them one because I've been swamped with stuff to do and two I just needed to be able to read my temps because my PC is over-clocked.
The bonus is if you look at the last string of numbers > 20100224 that shows the date the snapshot of the source code was taken > February 24th, 2010.
ENJOY! :mrgreen:
Last edited by rfurgy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

What I did to get lm-sensors working with k10 sensors
You will be required to have the k10temp module to be installed for this to work

64 bit --> lm-sensors-r5827_20100224-1_amd64.deb
32 bit --> lm-sensors-r5827_20100224-1_i386.deb
Tested on following systems:
Linux 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(If you have a different kernel version, this may or may not work for you. If not you may need to update your kernel to version 2.6.33)

1) Go to this lm-sensors page and scroll to the bottom to find the most up to date snapshot of lm-sensors source code. http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/snapshots/
Now create a folder in your Downloads directory and name it lm-sensors then move the tar ball into that folder. You can put the lm-sensors folder where ever you like, but for sake of this post I'll assume it's in the Downloads folder.

2) Next I made sure I had the packages needed to compile and install with. You can do this through the Synaptic Package Manager. Just do a search for each of these and install them.
Make – gcc – bison – flex – perl
Also while in Synaptic Package Manager, search and find lm-sensors. If installed, mark for complete removal. Make sure to click the green check mark at the top in order to apply your changes and once done you can close Synaptic.

3) Now open a Terminal and navigate to the folder you put your lm-sensors package into:

Code: Select all

cd Downloads/lm-sensors
4) Once you're in the lm-sensors folder, it's time to unpack the tar ball and navigate to the folder that was just unpacked:

tar xzjf lm-sensors-r5827-20100224.tar.bz2
cd lm-sensors-r5827-20100224
5) This source is already configured to work with the latest distribution kernel so we won't have to do that, but we will still need to compile it and install it. So first log into root, then followed by the make command, and lastly make install.

su
** Enter Password When Prompted **
make
make install
6) If you didn't get any error messages you can now set up your sensors:

sudo sensors-detect
Just answer yes to all the questions and once it writes the changes you're all done. You now have lm-sensors that supports your k10 sensors. Unfortunately I haven't found any monitoring apps that work well with the new drivers but you can check temps from Terminal:

sensors
It should look like this if everything is working:

furginator@furginator-desktop ~ $ sensors
atk0110-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
Vcore Voltage:       +1.42 V  (min =  +0.85 V, max =  +1.70 V)
 +3.3 Voltage:       +3.50 V  (min =  +2.97 V, max =  +3.63 V)
 +5 Voltage:         +5.00 V  (min =  +4.50 V, max =  +5.50 V)
 +12 Voltage:       +12.72 V  (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
CPU FAN Speed:      2149 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN Speed:  2064 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN 2 Speed:2089 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CPU Temperature:     +38.0°C  (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)  
MB Temperature:      +31.0°C  (high = +45.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)
This last step is only needed if you applied the k10temp patch and wish to remove it.
7) Now if any of you were like me, you managed to patch in a real sketchy driver which only gave you one temp reading. If you did and still have it installed you will notice another small section below your MB Temperature reading like I did the first time I did the sensor command. If you didn't install the k10temp patch then you can skip this step and you're finished. First you'll want to find the service name (was k10temp for me) so you can then properly remove it. This command will give you a list of all installed services that are running on your computer:

lsmod
After you have verified it's installed and that it is running in the list of services (once again mine was called k10temp), you can now remove it with this:

sudo update-rc.d -f k10temp remove
Or replace k10temp with whatever you named it if you chose to use a different name while installing the patch.

Now you should be all set with new and working lm-sensors drivers and the k10temp patch removed. Hope this helps. :wink:
Last edited by rfurgy on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ShakeyJake

Post by ShakeyJake »

Thanks for the package rfurgy. I installed it just fine and when I ran sensors-detect it found my cpu but then kicked an error mssage or two:

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.

Driver `k10temp':
  * Chip `AMD Family 10h thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)

Driver `f71882fg':
  * ISA bus, address 0x600
    Chip `Fintek F71889FG Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Warning: the required module k10temp is not currently installed
on your system. If it is built into the kernel then it's OK.
Otherwise, check http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for
driver availability.

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): YES
Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/init.d/lm_sensors
for initialization at boot time.
You should now start the lm_sensors service to load the required
kernel modules.

Unloading i2c-dev... OK

jack@jack-desktop:~$ sensors
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
Starting sensors doesn't seem to find anything, even after it says it has detected everything. And what is this k10temp module? I have tried rebooting after the install just in case but that made no difference. Any help would be much appreciated here guys.

Thanks,
Jack

EDIT - Compiling the sensors myself makes no difference to the error message either. I'm blinking stuck here folks.
Truthfinder

Post by Truthfinder »

I followed your instructions but sensors reports:
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

lsmod doesn't show the K10 sensor?

Any ideas? Thanks...
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

Well, I would assume you didn't get lm-sensors installed properly. Did you encounter any errors during compilation and install? If so what were they?
If you are going to be trying again then make sure your system is up to date. The specific update you'd be looking for is your Linux Kernel update.
Use the following command in Terminal and post the output here:

uname -a
Sorry it didn't work the first time. This is my first how to and I could have missed a step in there some where. I'll help you get it installed, just don't give up.
If you wanted to try, there is a package I had installed from Synaptic that I used to make the deb. It's possible that helped with compiling. It's called build-essential.
If you install any packages, you may want to make sure everything is up to date afterwards.
Last edited by rfurgy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truthfinder

Post by Truthfinder »

uname -a
Linux AMD-X4 2.6.31-19-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 28 01:26:53 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Return to “Hardware Support”