Wireless connection, Acer Aspire One, Mint 8

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Volund

Wireless connection, Acer Aspire One, Mint 8

Post by Volund »

Hey guys, noobie here :oops:

I've played around with linux occasionally, as the mood struck me, mainly for my laptop, and most recently my netbook. It works great for me, everything except the wireless.

Background info--

Netbook model- Acer Aspire One D250 1515
Wireless Card- Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
OS- Linux Mint 8, 32bit Gnome version

I use the netbook mainly at my college, where they have campus wide WiFi for student use, and at home, on my personal network. At home, I get occasional disconnects, but nothing really major (WPA secured network). At school, I boot up, and the network manager shows that I am connected, but then immediately drops the connection, and refuses to re-connect. The network at school doesn't use encryption to the best of my knowledge.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? The only point in getting the netbook was to use it at school, for internet browsing, and other work that requires me to be attached to the 'net.

Thanks all, and please have patience with me, I'm not all that proficient with linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Wireless connection, Acer Aspire One, Mint 8

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Volund

Re: Wireless connection, Acer Aspire One, Mint 8

Post by Volund »

you are awesome!

I didn't do any of the updates to the kernel, but loading the backports did the trick, I had 4 hours of breaks yesterday, watched two streaming movies and browsed the web all through class :D

Return to “Hardware Support”