CRT Monitor with low resolution

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
floortester

CRT Monitor with low resolution

Post by floortester »

Hi,
I am a newcomer to Linux terminal usage as I have not needed it before, I think my problem will be sorted there, looking trough the posts it is difficult to see where the commands are made i.e. in the root directory or in the directory where the programme, if you can find it, resides
I have been using SUSE11 for the last three years with no problems but upgraded to SUSE 11.2 this weekend and after 3 hours reading from the DVDV it ran so slowly it seemed that it had filled the partition with new software.
A friend recommended MINT so I tried it out and it refused to load with an error message " The disc is failing and there are too many errors on the disc to install"
I therefore scrapped the hard disc, put in a new one and installed Mint ver8 Helena from scratch as the only system on the disc.
All worked well except the resolution was set at 640x480, the device configurator downloaded, installed and activated a Nvidia 175.14.20 driver.
However the xserver configuration did not do any better with a CRT monitor only with NO list of monitors, and a maximum resolution of 640x480,
I got no better results running it with gksu as root, I have spent all day looking at "tototester"'s post which echos mine in many ways, and also does not seem to have a quick and easy solution.
my xorg-conf file unlike his only consists of 8 lines and the nvidia -xconfig command is not recognised?
I am writing this on a Windows system as I would not be able to see the screen in MInt, and attachments are a memory stick transfer. I think the maximum resolution would be 1024x768 from my Nvidia 5500 card but the monitor is capable of 1920x1200
Where do I go from here please. :(

Nvidia 5500 Sweet card
ACER Al2423W Monitor
ASUS A7N8X-E motherboard
AMD athlon 64 processor
3gb memory
400gb disc 300ata
1xCD, 1xDVD writer, floppy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: CRT Monitor with low resolution

Post by remoulder »

floortester, does nvida-settings not allow you to set your monitor and resolution? This is the preferred way to change display settings with nvidia cards.

Also have a look at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 987#p38486
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
floortester

Post by floortester »

Hi,
No the xterminal configuration shows a blank screen when pressing the list of monitor button, there is no option to change from a CRT and the only options in resolution is AUTO, 640x480 and 320x240, I am not sure if it uses the 640x480 as if it is selected and you apply you get an error of "Not able to parse to the nvidia config file", I have tried all methods as a user, as root and from a command line. In SUSE there ( as I have a manual) is framebuffer vga which can be edited to give the monitor options with a single numeric entry. :o

Regards

Peter Raynor
floortester

Post by floortester »

Hi,

I followed the instructions to modify the xorg-conf file, that resulted in an error message that the system was running in a low resolution mode and would run once only, but most times the screen was either black or full of error messages
the xvidtune just gave me some h&vsync values which meant nothing to me
I tried to change the resolution via the nvidia configurator but that said I had to run nvidia -xconfig in a terminal, I tried but trying to open it with a double click gave me an option to run in a terminal but when press there was a flash and nothing more. Opening a terminal and just typing the programme name gave me a no command error and using a run command gave me a list of other commands that might work but run was not one of them - what a farce
the system is now fairly dead in the water, it is either a repair or put back SUSE as a last resort
:roll:
floortester

Post by floortester »

Hi all
I have looked through all the posts over the last three days and have not found a definitive answer, the overall comments say to use the Nvidia configurator but that does not work with a basic crt screen which appears to be the default of the Mint system.
I have cobbled together a few bits of code to bodge my xorg-conf file which now tells my monitor it is running 1024x768 setup and a screen saver but defaults to 800x600 I think when using the web or any other software, this is a definate improvement over the initial 320 x 240. Initially I still get the "Running in Low resolution Error box" but can still run if I ignore it
Here is the layout of the xorg.conf file, I would be grateful if someone can run their eye over it and tell me what is not need and what extra I need to run the Nvidia configurator correctly. In the "Running in Low resolution Error box" I can see errors noted even in the default parts of the file

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
FontPath "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dri2"
Load "dbe"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "extmod"
Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection[/i][/i]
*********************************************************************************************************************************
ALL ABOVE THIS LINE IS DEFAULT AND UNCHANGED
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "ACER"
ModelName "AL2423W"
HorizSync 30.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 55.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
BusID "AGP8:3:0:0"
IRQ 19
Option "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
Option "metamodes" "1600 x 1200 +0+0; 1280 x 1024 +0+0; 1024 x 768 +0+0"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
Option "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
Option "metamodes" "1600 x 1200 +0+0; 1280 x 1024 +0+0; 1024 x 768 +0+0"
*******************************************************************************************************************************
ALL BELOW THIS LINE IS DEFAULT AND UNCHANGED
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

I look forward to comments as I am coming to the end of my patience with a system that has now been unusable for over a week.

Regards

Floortester
floortester

Post by floortester »

Hi All
With all massive amount of help and information :lol: I have received over the last 10 days I can now claim success in being able to view what is on my screen without scrolling in 320x120 format,
I have removed Mint and gone back to SUSE 11.2 which although difficult does at least have a method of sorting out and keeping the resolution of your screen - Bye!

Floortester

Return to “Hardware Support”