sound plays form both speakers and headphones

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unknown_28

sound plays form both speakers and headphones

Post by unknown_28 »

Hi guys

I just installed Mint 8 on my hp pavilion tx2000 laptop, with Realtek High-Definition Audio sound card, when I plug in my headphones and play media, i can heard the sound from both my laptop speakers and my headphones. Can someone please help me with this problem

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: sound plays form both speakers and headphones

Post by exploder »

Check out the settings for the mixer, you may be able to make adjustments there.

Edit: Welcome to the forum!
unknown_28

Post by unknown_28 »

Thanks for the welcome

I cannot find the mixer, i used ububtu before and i used alsa drivers to control the volume of the speaker and headphones individually

thank you
Kainous

Post by Kainous »

Hey everyone, used search instead of making a new thread :D

Anyways I'm on Linux Mint 9 (64 bit) and I have had MANY issues with pulseaudio. Sound being delayed 1.5 seconds, built in mic not working (After trying numerous fixes posted), sound stops after a while and need to reboot to fix.

So as a friend suggested i switched to ALSA. Now all of these issues have been fixed by doing that.

My laptop is a Toshiba QOSMIO X505-Q850.

And so my only remaining issue is the same as the topic of this thread. The sound plays from both the speakers and headphones. I've tried sound settings, I've tried every common solution.

kainous@kainous-laptop ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
kainous@kainous-laptop ~ $ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Same here. Can anybody help? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L650. But the problem is not onle with me. I also installed Mint 64 bit on my friend's desktop and still the same.
nic0teen

Post by nic0teen »

I had this problem and it turned out it was the 'Head Phone Jack Sense' was unticked in GNOME ALSA Mixer. I had to download GNOME ALSA Mixer from apt first before I could get to the option.

I hope this helps someone as it took me 3 hours to find the answer!
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

didn't help. >.>
cavehomme

Post by cavehomme »

This issue is hugely annoying. Any answers anyone please?
It probably does not help that despite trying to understand pulseaudio settings, I really have no clue. When I delve around it really becomes clear that to understand the pulseaudio settings you need to be a harware / software engineer, or certainly have the aptitude to be one. I am an experienced PC user but this pulseaudio configuration really beats my understanding by a long way - too many pulseaudio tools and settings, completely bewildering.

Return to “Hardware Support”