linux mint 8 gnome no sound dv3-2165ee [Solved]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

linux mint 8 gnome no sound dv3-2165ee [Solved]

Post by xnostradamusx »

my laptop is dv3-2165ee everything works bluetooth,wireless etc. now i installed the proprietary nvida drivers. youtube is playing movie is playing but the problem is i have no sounds at all i tried different options in the Sounds preferences but i really cant make my sound to work, im using windows 7 yesterday and was planning to ditch windows cause im fed up with the security issues i was an old mint user version 5 but i lost my cd so i downloaded the latest version hoping i will get everything out of the box to work seems only sounds is the problem now i hope someone can help me since i really dont want to go back to windows :(

here is the information of what is inside of my laptop

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/me/en/ho ... 29987.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Re: just returned to install linux mint 8 gnome but no sound

Post by xnostradamusx »

thanks for the guide that is a huge list i hope there is 1 guide i can use that supports my hardware as you can see in my laptop specs.

i just installed linux mint 8 in my workstation desktop everything works out o the box, scanners printers sounds everything. sadly this laptop is the only one giving me problems
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newyorkpaulie »

Try this...
Go to Menu/Preferences/Sound and click on the box for "Enable window and button sounds", then pick one from the list. I like the one called Glass. Push the volume slider all the way up (to the right) and make sure your PC sound level is also turned up.Let us know if this does it for you.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

try rightclicking the speaker icon:
Sound Preferences -> Output -> Set Connector to Analog Output/No Amplifier
ESN

Post by ESN »

Hi i Just got help from this!! thankyou!!
I thougt it war my ati device in my crapy asus a6 that was the problem Thanks once again!
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

thanks for replying i will do the above steps again i hope it works. for the meantime here is a screen shot of my device manager on my windows 7 just for the info about my sound card

i was ready to completely trasfer from windows to mint 8 but the only thing stopping me is the sounds i hope i can fix it.
btw in my desktop mint 8 works no problem everything works out of the box but i really need to make this work in my laptop because these is where i do most of my work and other stuffs
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Check Nvidea site for sound card drivers.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

@newyorkpaulie and joylove it doesnt work see the screenshots

@bobcollard
in hp website there is also sound drivers posted for my laptop from windows xp to windows 7 there but the problem is it is all in exe format how will i use the sound driver there for my mint 8?
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

I use Google a lot to solve problems. I didn''t say check HP I said check Nvidia. Here is a [Solved] link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1077801
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

problem solved thanks for the link you given me sir now i can enjoy my linux mint 8
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

xnostradamusx wrote:problem solved thanks for the link you given me sir now i can enjoy my linux mint 8
You are welcome, glad things worked for you. Please go up to your first post in this string and Edit the Subject line by adding [Solved] so others may benefit from your experience.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Re: just returned to install linux mint 8 gnome but no sound [So

Post by xnostradamusx »

im gonna reinstall mint today and see if my solution really works and im planning to post the things i do for things to work. cause the one you posted helps but i changed something there regarding the alsa, i downloaded the latest alsa drivers and that i think work for me, anyways im gonna post whats the steps i will do when i reinstall mint later
~cheers~

xnostradamusx

Return to “Hardware Support”