HTC G1 has lost the ability to mount [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mr Mojito

HTC G1 has lost the ability to mount [SOLVED]

Post by Mr Mojito »

hello,

I have a G1 that can no longer mount. it worked fine when I got it (with LM8) and it can sync fine with a PC currently, but it doesn't work anymore with my linux laptop. The usb ports are still functional as they charge the phone, and also my iPod touch, but there's no icon in the notification bar of the phone to allow me to mount. I don't think it's a G1 problem because my iPod has recently stopped it's "mounting" capability as well (doesn't work but I still used to get a little icon on my desktop when I plug it in).

I haven't done anything that would damage the computer or phone physically, in fact my laptop is fairly immobile these days. The only thing I have done is updated Linux when ever the update manger prompts me to (which has happened a lot since I noticed this problem). does anyone know how to:

A) check to see what I have recently installed?
B) roll back my computer to it's pre-updated status?
C) what the heck happened?

specs / keywords:
Lenovo T61
Linux Mint 8 Main edition
HTC G1 google phone
Android 1.6
iPod Touch 1G OS 3.1.2

Been working fine since: 1/1/2010
problem noted: 3/21/2010
last able to sync: about 5 days previous

Much Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HTC G1 has lost the ability to mount

Post by shane »

A) You can see all package activity (installations, updates, uninstalls) by checking the dpkg log files located in /var/log/dpkg.log and /var/log/dpkg.log.*. Version, date and time info is also provided. You can also see the Update Manager's activity by opening it and going to View > History of Updates.

B) You can roll back to a previous version of a package by opening Synaptic Package manager, searching and finding said package and then going Package > Force version and selecting a version from the drop down list and clicking force version. You may want to add the package to the Ignored packages list in the Update Manager to avoid it installing the newer version again.

C) I don't know.
Mr Mojito

Re: HTC G1 has lost the ability to mount

Post by Mr Mojito »

well Ill be damned... looks like it was just the cord.

The one on the left came with my G1 (got the phone used, I'm not sure if it's the orig), the silver one on the right was what I have been using for the last week. Like I said, the silver one worked with mounting my phone to a PC but not linux. strange. the silver one came with a cheap usb hub. the black one feels a bit heavier like it's a thicker cable or something. anyone know the diff (like is the black one a power and data cable)? I suppose I just didn't notice the ipod icon on my desktop, cause it's there now and I didn't change anything on my computer.

Thanks for your response

Return to “Hardware Support”