success with Mint 8 on Acer Aspire 5532

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andyc

success with Mint 8 on Acer Aspire 5532

Post by andyc »

My wife kept dropping hints about a cheap laptop in the living room for 'quickly looking things up' so I decided to buy an Acer Aspire 5532 laptop for her birthday.

The machine came bundled with Windows 7 and my original intention was to dual boot with Lucid (just to try another distro that looked aubergine with windows controls in a different place).

To cut a long story short, after a couple of media failures on supposedly verified DVD's, I installed Linux Mint 8 (x64) on this machine and it worked perfectly.

Sound, wireless networking all worked OOTB and the display looked sharp and crystal clear.

One minor concern - the wireless dropped at one point and the signal strength was weak (35%) given it was 3 feet from the router but the box is all hidden away now until mid-April so any more feedback will have to wait.

Hope this helps anyone considering this laptop and you sure do get a lot (AMD 64, 3GB, 250GB HD) for your money (349 GBP) these days.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: success with Mint 8 on Acer Aspire 5532

Post by remoulder »

andyc wrote:the wireless dropped at one point and the signal strength was weak (35%)
Try my solution in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p255007
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
andyc

Post by andyc »

Thanks - bookmarked for further investigation.
andyc

Post by andyc »

Remoulder

Many thanks for the pointer to the tip about installing the various backport modules. This increased the signal strength 3 fold and eliminated all packet loss. As this laptop is almost exclusively used for Internet access, this has made my day. My wife is also delighted.

Anyone else with a AR928X wireless card and spotty wireless connection may want to try this solution.

Andy
corte123

Post by corte123 »

hi, just to add to this topic i have a acer aspire 7736z-4088 my wireless was dropping like crazy too, the exact backport package i used was linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic

Return to “Hardware Support”