How to get all my RAM

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blaite

How to get all my RAM

Post by blaite »

Hi guys

I have been using Linux Mint for some time already. I had problems with Skype recording and trying to solve it did not work. So I reinstalled the system. I installed openSUSE, to see what it is. It was super fast and really nice, but had problems to update software. I am not into tweaking the system where it does not have to be tweaked. So I got back to Mint. I took new release 8 with LXDE. Skype is working here so I am happy.
However, I have 4GB RAM, and it sees only 3GB. Mint 7 and Ubuntu before also saw 3, so I got used to it, but openSUSE saw 4GB. I do not know if it was using it but it was telling me 4 while ubuntu says 3. All systems are 32-bits, but I don't really know what that means.
Is there any trick to get all the RAM to be visible and utilised ?

And I am sorry if someone asked it but when I trie to narrow down the search it was still showing me over 6000 messages :-(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: How to get all my RAM

Post by ArcherSeven »

blaite wrote:All systems are 32-bits...
That's just it. OpenSUSE applies a module/patch to their kernel, apparently, that lest them use all four gig of RAM, a trick done on server kernels a lot, however it's still a different / inefficient way (from my understanding) of getting around that.

My suggestion is to just leave it: as most of the time you won't see any change in performance with the .75 gig the 32 bit kernel isn't seeing; however I personally use 64 bit on my desktop, laptop, and server using both Arch Linux and Linux Mint, and have no problems with 64 bit, so that's another great way to go if your processor can take it.

Final option is to compile your own kernel or use a server kernel which might cause some issues, but can also be done. Hope that helps :)
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

blaite wrote:Hi guys

I have been using Linux Mint for some time already. I had problems with Skype recording and trying to solve it did not work. So I reinstalled the system. I installed openSUSE, to see what it is. It was super fast and really nice, but had problems to update software. I am not into tweaking the system where it does not have to be tweaked. So I got back to Mint. I took new release 8 with LXDE. Skype is working here so I am happy.
However, I have 4GB RAM, and it sees only 3GB. Mint 7 and Ubuntu before also saw 3, so I got used to it, but openSUSE saw 4GB. I do not know if it was using it but it was telling me 4 while ubuntu says 3. All systems are 32-bits, but I don't really know what that means.
Is there any trick to get all the RAM to be visible and utilised ?

And I am sorry if someone asked it but when I trie to narrow down the search it was still showing me over 6000 messages :-(
Hi blaite,
to answer your question you can install PAE enabled kernel module and this will enable your system to see and use 4GB Ram. You can install PAE kernel from synaptic or from terminal using apt-get command.
blaite

Post by blaite »

Thank you both.
I googled the PAE thing and it seem to be OK for now.
But for the future update, can I use 64tit version if i have 32bit windows too.
And will i gain anything by switching?
I have
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz
frequency 800.000 MHz
l2 cache 6144 KB
GeForce 8600M GS
card type PCI-E 16x
video ram 512 MB
gpu frequency 169MHz

thanks again
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

blaite wrote:Thank you both.
I googled the PAE thing and it seem to be OK for now.
But for the future update, can I use 64tit version if i have 32bit windows too.
And will i gain anything by switching?
I have
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz
frequency 800.000 MHz
l2 cache 6144 KB
GeForce 8600M GS
card type PCI-E 16x
video ram 512 MB
gpu frequency 169MHz

thanks again
Hey Blaite,
Yes you can install x64bit along with x32 Windows. You may see little improvement but with 4GB ram you will not see a big increase. You may see some decrease depending on the app you are running. So it will be up to you in the long run. I would personally recommend x32 with PAE Kernel.
blaite

Post by blaite »

mmesantos1 wrote:Hey Blaite,
Yes you can install x64bit along with x32 Windows. You may see little improvement but with 4GB ram you will not see a big increase. You may see some decrease depending on the app you are running. So it will be up to you in the long run. I would personally recommend x32 with PAE Kernel.
Thanks very much. I will patch it now, and test it just to see by myself, when the new release is out. Sounds like fun :-)

Return to “Hardware Support”