(edited subject) soundcard not functioning on HP laptop

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby scorp123 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:04 am

Immaculate wrote:hmmmm.... i tried to find a mandriva liveCD download but i found out that it is sold... for real money... can it be true?
The GPL does not forbid to charge money for the distribution (= the activity of distributing software) itself or for the media the software ships on. And it does also not forbid to ship closed-source extras on one's CD's which may cost money :wink:

As for the Mandriva live CD ... please follow this link:
http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/mandrivaone

I personally downloaded the "KDE disk 1" (e.g. Swiss Mirror here ... ) but you could also try the GNOME versions if you are more comfortable with them. You only need one of those CD images, regardless of their numbering (the numbering only represent the language sets present on the CD, please read their explanation!). To get the Hebrew language version you could e.g. take the "KDE disk 7", e.g. from here:
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/mandrake/official/iso/2007.0/One/mandriva-one-2007-kde7.iso
That's a Swiss mirror ... Probably you should get one that is closer to your location geography-wise, but then again mirrors in Western Europe may be more reliable than those in Eastern Europe ...

Regards,
scorp123
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Mandriva One is free of cost and a really nice distribution too. Mandriva also offers boxed versions and additional software for a bit of money, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Look at Linux Mint, you can see ads on the website, and a button to make donations. We too will probably be selling boxed versions in the feature along with books, tshirts, mugs and so on. Money has nothing to do with it. If we can earn a bit we'll do. In the end of the day, you'll still be downloading the ISO for free and having the choice whether you want to financially contribute to the project or not.

I believe Mandriva has now the same mentality. Think of these T-shirts, books and boxed versions as another way to make a donation and getting free stuff in return.

Mandriva free is the installation disks for Mandriva 2007.
Mandriva One is the live CD for Mandriva 2007.

I personally reviewed Mandriva 2007 and found it very good:
http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/mand ... eview.html

PS: And it's got nothing to do with the fact that I'm French... or does it? :lol: Ah no.. it is really one of the nicest distributions IMHO. mintDesktop did learn a lot from it, and mint3d/mintConfig certainly will as well.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby JohnH on Sun May 20, 2007 4:53 am

a new lead:

turns out that i have two sound cards in my laptop. one for the internal speakers, one for the external connections (mic, line-out). ubuntu must have recognized only one of them. the laptop is HP Pavillion dv6186ea (dv6000 series).

any one has any kind of idea what to do with this new information?

I am currently running the most recent release candidate alsa driver. Alsa mixer picks up the following services:
headphone;
pcm;
pcm2;
mic bypass;
mic gain;
capture;
speaker.

This is how it manages the "two cards" you speak of.

See also my how to for my HP dv2000. It "might" help.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608

Cheers
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Previous

Return to Hardware Support