Mint and retrieving Mac drive folders.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Murdock

Mint and retrieving Mac drive folders.

Post by Murdock »

Hi boys and girls.
I had a Macbook blow up about a year ago so I junked it and put the entire drive on a fire wire rig.
I tried a few times to access the folders in /user to no avail.
I loaded Mint today and figured I'd get serious about retrieving that data while setting this critter up.. The usual. 1500 photos, some movies, big .pdf, .doc. pps folders etc. and a couple thousand songs from the Napster daze.

Here's how I wound up doing it.
Plug the drive in and boot.
Mint shows the drive on the DT.
Open as usual and go to user/BOBBzzzZ/documents/ and on to whatever you want to retrieve.
You'll notice the locks on the folders.
Right click and make sure you set all permissions for anyone, read write, share etc.Nautilus pops up to spank you.
BUT you can play tunes, look through photos and all but you CANNOT burn, copy, delete. Nada.
Try dragging a folder to the DT and you'll get a 500 permissions error. In my case user 501 does not have permissions to copy this data". That's a user ID on the hard drive, The MAC hard drive.

Heres how you do it.
Unmount the drive and create a new user in mint using the exact user name you had on the mac.Use the same password you had on the mac.
You'll see a tab and open a box with "user number" Mine read 1004 or something. I guess that's default ?
I switched that to my Mac number. 501
Plugged in the drive, opened up user/docs/xxxx and began dragging folders to the DT.
From there fire up the DVD burner and have fun.

BTW. It was a 2007 running OSX

4 hours worth of BS
I hope this helps someone out.
Pura Vida from the Toucan Oasis.
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint and retrieving Mac drive folders.

Post by remoulder »

Thanks for the info. Please post tutorials in the Howto section
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Hardware Support”