Driver Problems. (Sound/Camera/Other)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nigalius

Driver Problems. (Sound/Camera/Other)

Post by Nigalius »

Hi...

I have 3 problems here that are kind of rolled into one. I will explain. They refer to my HDA Nvidia ALC 888 Sound card, Various software that comes bundled with new digital cameras, and drivers for my blood/sugar meter connected to the PC. (I am diabetic).

Senario:----- I am an experianced Windows user and have lately been looking into Linux. Having made up my mind to go for Mint Helena, I had a transition period where I was running both os. I am now pleased to say that I am now windows free and running totally Linux Mint Helena.

My problems are with the drivers for the above devices. In Windows (7) all of the devices ran perfectly, The sound card worked superbly with dolby and a host of other options. In Linux, the same sound card I dont think was picked up. It is as if I have just a generic driver giving me sound. I am still getting good sound, dont get me wrong but it just does not have that extra bite that I know the HDA Nvidia ALC 888 can produce. That I believe is the hardest question to solve..... Phew!

The other 2 are both very connected. One is the numerous software that comes bundled with new digital cameras that I have a habit of buying and the other is the software to my Roche Industries Blood/Sugar meter. I have phones Roche and they told me straight that their software does not run on Linux or Mac. As for the camera software, there are too many to mention here.

Given the 3 problems, would it be suggested I find a space on my h/d to re-install Win 7 for the said items as then I could still keep Linux as my main os. I would then have to go into Windows to play music for the real rich sound? Or, is there something I can do to get full use of my sound card in Linux?

I have been looking for 3 days now on various parts of this forum and though I have found several interesting posts, I have found none relevant to my case. I read that I could try to use OSS, :? I barely know what that means, if I am running it or how I get it and if I can get it how do I switch over from whatever I am using at the moment, whatever that is.

My Computer and os details are as follows...
Acer Aspire x3000, AMD Phenom II x3 710 processors, 4gig RAM, 450gig h/d, Linux Mint 8 Helena, Kernal 2.6.31.20, Gnome 2.28.1

I feel that as I have problems with my Blood/Sugar meter it is going to be suggested that I install a small version of windows on this computer, that would certainly solve all three problems at a stroke but I am reluctant to install windows again unless I really have to, but would like the opinions of people that know a lot more than me.

Thank You

Nigel.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Driver Problems. (Sound/Camera/Other)

Post by remoulder »

Sorry no one has replied to your post. Your camera and blood sugar software might run under wine but there is no guarantee, especially if it requires access to physical hardware. You could also install Windows under a virtual machine but the same limitations might apply. For cameras, there is native software so you shouldn't need to use any Windows ones. If this is important to you then you might be better sticking with Windows.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Hardware Support”