bluetooth on acer travelmate 3200 laptop

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

bluetooth on acer travelmate 3200 laptop

Postby davidwillington on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 am

Hi

I've just installed the latest version of mint (version 8?) on an Acer Travelmate 3200 laptop. I'm running gnome and have updated all the software. I can't get anywhere with bluetooth. There's an on / off button on the front that doesn't respond (although the wireless network one next to it works fine).

Running bluetooth properties (menu -> preferences -> bluetooth manager) brings up 'no bluetooth adaptors present'.

The output from
Code: Select all
dmesg | grep -i blue
is

[ 0.328065] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.15
[ 0.328097] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[ 0.328100] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[ 5.763726] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.13
[ 5.763729] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 5.763732] Bluetooth: SCO (Voice Link) ver 0.6
[ 5.763734] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[ 5.763766] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 5.763769] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 5.763772] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11

and bluetooth has worked under Fedora (I think it was FC10).

The blue led of the bluetooth button lights up at boot but goes off early in the boot process (possibly before grub).

I've had a look in the bios but there doesn't seem to be any option to default bluetooth to on or off.

I've had a look in /proc/ but I can't see anywhere that I can contrl the bluetooth button from the cli, although I've found references to doing this and to the acerhk kernel module. Unfortunately the module doesn't seem to be available and the subdirectories in /proc/ that I've found references to don't exist either.

I've tried
hcitool scan
and got
Device is not available: No such device

As far as I can tell this is an issue with the control of the hardware. Do I need to look into acpi support? If anyone can suggest how I can get bluetooth working I'd be very grateful

Thanks

David
davidwillington
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: bluetooth on acer travelmate 3200 laptop

Postby remoulder on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 pm

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: bluetooth on acer travelmate 3200 laptop

Postby davidwillington on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks for the suggestions which I've followed, but I've not had any luck. I've not had a look at udev before but the suggested rule doesn't work. I've tried

udevadm control --log-priority=info

and looking in /var/log/udev for a response when I press the bluetooth button, but nothing changes in the log file. I've also tried
 chmod 666 /dev/rfkill
but this hasn't fixed things either. Does the presence of information about Bluetooth in dmesg mean that the kernel is detecting the laptop's bluetooth? If it is, is there any way to emulate pressing the bluetooth button (eg by writing to an appropriate file in /proc/)?

Thanks

DAvid
davidwillington
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support