Kindle and Nook [Solved]

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Kindle and Nook [Solved]

Postby fwc on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Does anyone know whether any drivers are available for the Nook or Kindle on Mint? I have been doing a little searching but haven't come up with many promising results. Thanks very much.
Last edited by fwc on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Kindle and Nook

Postby remoulder on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Seems unlikely if they use DRM?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby fwc on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:57 pm

Argh.. The Nook is based on Android; it should be easier to backwards engineer some drivers. At least enough to connect the device through to VMWare or VirtualBox. Does anyone know if one could install the software and have it operate under Wine?
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby NCCarlos on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Have you tried using Calibre?

Edit: My Sony Reader is detected just fine as a storage device in Mint and debian. This page may help: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#why-is-my-device-not-detected-in-linux
| Linux Mint 10 | Gnome |
NCCarlos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fwc on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:17 am

NCCarlos wrote:Have you tried using Calibre?

Edit: My Sony Reader is detected just fine as a storage device in Mint and debian. This page may help: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#why-is-my-device-not-detected-in-linux

Awesome, this is just what I was looking for.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Kindle and Nook [Solved]

Postby NCCarlos on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:47 am

Glad to hear it.

I should warn you, though. My Sony Reader 505 runs Linux, but it is much more unstable when I've used Calibre. Your mileage may vary. Overall, I prefer to not use it and simply copy contents to the reader myself.

Check out mobileread.com, which has a forum on ebook readers. They love Calibre and have a forum section devoted to it where Calibre's developer often helps with user problems.
| Linux Mint 10 | Gnome |
NCCarlos
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kindle and Nook [Solved]

Postby fwc on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:42 am

NCCarlos wrote:Glad to hear it.

I should warn you, though. My Sony Reader 505 runs Linux, but it is much more unstable when I've used Calibre. Your mileage may vary. Overall, I prefer to not use it and simply copy contents to the reader myself.

Check out mobileread.com, which has a forum on ebook readers. They love Calibre and have a forum section devoted to it where Calibre's developer often helps with user problems.

Ok cool. I think I can run the software in Wine as well, if Calibre isn't satisfactory.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support