Disk Utility smart is not available [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miraceti52

Disk Utility smart is not available [SOLVED]

Post by miraceti52 »

Hi Guys, I am using Linux Mint 8 and previously the Disk Utility has had SMART working just fine, I could see all of the hard disk parameters and monitor what is going on, ( one of my drives is of concern and yes I should have already replaced it) Anyway SMART has stopped working and become unavailable. I assume that the Disk Utility depends on a daemon but I have no idea which one or where to go searching. Does anyone have an idea on how I might get SMART to be available again?

Thanks

Bevan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Disk Utility smart is not available

Post by remoulder »

Does the new drive support SMART? Is it enabled in the BIOS? Look at the output of dmesg for any messages on your drive(s) to see if there is a problem.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
miraceti52

Post by miraceti52 »

I have not yet put a new drive in, the old ones (2) both used to provide SMART info to Disk Utility and now Disk Utility does not seem to use SMART. It basically just stoopped working giving the error message that Smart is unavailable, I have made no changes to bios, I have installed some software, winFF, Unison, Symphony and Mint updates, recently.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Apparently this is intentional, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/553282
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
miraceti52

Re: Disk Utility smart is not available [SOLVED]

Post by miraceti52 »

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on that one. Damage to SSDs ! no wonder it has been disabled until a fix for that bug is found.
Very much appreciated

Return to “Hardware Support”