[SOLVED] Can't enable ALSA?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zackf

[SOLVED] Can't enable ALSA?

Post by zackf »

Following the steps here http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 52&start=0 I can hear my speakers through a test via the terminal, but my sound preferences give me no hardware to activate ALSA over pulseaudio and thus I still have no sound. Am I just missing an easy option? I'm sad I've had to delve into the terminal to get something like sound to work. I haven't had to do that in a while. I'm using a Lenovo Y510. Results from lspci:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Can't enable ALSA?

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome To Linux Mint
There is a comprehensive sound help solution How To guide that has many links, maybe some will lead you to a resolution
HERE = http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32293
Hope this Helps, Have A Good Day.
Txnca

Post by Txnca »

When you first installed Mint did you also install a proprietary modem driver? The reason I ask, is that I had the same issue on a Toshiba laptop. It has the ICH7 Intel HDA Audio controller and with that is a modem. Here is the output of my lspci;

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

Here is my aplay -l output.

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861 Analog [ALC861 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The point is, when I removed the proprietary modem driver, my Audio controller was then there when I rebooted my system. Not sure if that is your issue, but it sure sounds like what I went through to fix mine.

Steve
zackf

Post by zackf »

Txnca wrote:When you first installed Mint did you also install a proprietary modem driver? The reason I ask, is that I had the same issue on a Toshiba laptop. It has the ICH7 Intel HDA Audio controller and with that is a modem. Here is the output of my lspci;

The point is, when I removed the proprietary modem driver, my Audio controller was then there when I rebooted my system. Not sure if that is your issue, but it sure sounds like what I went through to fix mine.

Steve

Right on, this is exactly what it was.
Txnca

Post by Txnca »

zackf wrote:Right on, this is exactly what it was.
Great! I'm glad I could help! Please edit your first post and put [SOLVED] in the Subject. Thanks!

Steve

Return to “Hardware Support”