Scanner not recognised

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phil1349

Scanner not recognised

Post by phil1349 »

I run Mint 7 on an Acer Aspire 5738Z laptop. I am trying to use an Epson 4180 scanner with this but I cannot get Sane to even recognise it's presence even when running it as root. lsusb returns "Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04b8:0118 Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 4180 (GF-F600)" which would indicate that at least the system is recognising it.

Any ideas on how to fix this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: Scanner not recognised

Post by beefstu »

All Epson scanner drivers are here http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do

Just select your scanner and fill in the questionnaire. You want to select "Ubuntu" as your distro and 9.04 as your version. Unfortunately there is no .deb file so I'd imagine the easiest method I'd imagine would be to download the .rpm and convert it into a .deb using Alien which is in the package manager and install it from there. You could also compile from source but haven't looked into how to do this.

According to the installation instructions (which I only glanced over) you need to have Sane installed, not sure if it is by default but thats in the package manager too i think.
phil1349

Post by phil1349 »

I have downloaded & installed drivers as recommended, it seemed to install OK but still does not recognise the scanner!

I will read the manual in depth & keep on trying.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

some suggest two commands
sane-find-scanner
and then
scanimage -L
if you get results on the latter, it suggests permissions issues
phil1349

Post by phil1349 »

Thanks for all the advice. What is happening now is that following the Epson-Avasys instructions and running sane-find-scanner produces the expected output of:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0118) at libusb:00X:00Y with X & Y varying every time the system or scanner is restarted. All as intended.

The next step is to change permissions with

chmod 0666 /proc/bus/usb/00X/00Y

The problem is that /proc/bus/usb is empty. I tried scanimage -L and that returns a scanner not detected message. I have also checked that the system is using libusb and not a loaded kernel module and this checks out ok.

Return to “Hardware Support”