[SOLVED] Permissions on USB harddrive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Canuck

[SOLVED] Permissions on USB harddrive

Post by Canuck »

I backed up all of my home direction files and folders. NOW, on the external USB hard drive, they are all LOCKED. How do I unlock them so that I can open the files and or copy them to my other computer home partition?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Permissions on USB harddrive

Post by remoulder »

How did you back them up? How is the drive formatted and what are the permissions on the drive (right mouse | Properties)?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

The external HD was formatted ext3/ext4 according to properties. I copied the files from my home directory from another distribution. Copied over the entire Documents folder.
The folder and its contents are listed as haing
the permissions: Owner: 1000 -user #1000 Group: 1000
When I try to open any of these files/folders I get the "You are not the owner. You do not have permission to open this file"

An aside: if I copied the files to a USB stick and then over to the 2nd home partition, I do not have this problem.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Canuck wrote:copied the files from my home directory from another distribution
Then the message is probably correct, your mint user is not the owner, the owner is your user in the other distro as the files would have been copied with that user's credentials.

Try in a terminal chown -R yourmintuser:yourmintgroup /media/mountpoint where yourmintuser/group is the name of your user and group (usually the same) and mountpoint is what the drive appears in nautilus as.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Hardware Support”