Wireless trouble

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kip

Wireless trouble

Post by Kip »

It seems no matter what I try to do with Linux, theres always something that doesn't want to work like the readme file said it would...

I'm running a dual boot system with Windows XP and Linux Mint 8. Wireless runs perfectly on Windows and not at all on Mint. Without a wireless connection, my computer has no internet. My wireless card is a Belkin G F5D7000 v2000.

First I tried using the Install Windows Drivers tool from the gnome menu. It pops up with a message saying "hardware not present". I click ok, and yet in the box for my bcmwl5 driver it says the hardware is present. When I click the Configure Network button it returns with "no configuration tool installed". Wonderful.

I then found a Network Connections program that allowed me to enter the access point name and setup my encryption, and made sure the "connect automatically" box was checked. Even after setting that up correctly, I got nothing. I also tried iwconfig which was even less helpful.

I tried using the command dhcpcd as that somehow got my wireless working under Slax Linux. But oh no, dhcpcd not installed. And as I have no internet I have to go through the manual method to install it, which is not something I really wanted to do. I installed it anyway and tried a few commands, but none seemed to work. After pressing enter to submit a command, I get a blank line. On this line, I can type whatever I want and continue hitting enter as many times as I like and it won't do a thing. So, I gave up with dhcpcd.

I've also tried installing ndiswrapper manually but that made no difference either.

Everytime I try something that doesn't work I have to switch back to Windows so I can get online again and search for help. I'm getting tired of having to switch OS all the time and I've ran out of ideas of what to do next.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Re: Wireless trouble

Post by inktitan »

Have you by chance managed to solve this issue. I see it has been a while. i am looking threw the unanswered post trying to see who was never helped. I am no expert on this issue but it took me a long time and a lot of frustration to get my wireless working on Linux. If you are still interested let me know and I will try to help.

Return to “Hardware Support”