Logitech C200 image mirrored with Skype

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
denzil

Logitech C200 image mirrored with Skype

Post by denzil »

I have got myself a Logitech C200 webcam, which works OK with Skype, except the image is mirrored. At least, it is when I do Skype Options - Video Devices - Test. I have tried with cheese and the image is the right way round there. Any ideas how I can get Skype to display it the right way round?

Also, the sound from the C200's microphone is muffled when I try a test call, as if the treble has been turned down.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
denzil

Re: Logitech C200 image mirrored with Skype

Post by denzil »

I have read a number of threads on the subject. Most recommended adding

Code: Select all

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
to /usr/bin/skype, or uninstalling Skype and using the version from the Medibuntu repository, which sets it up like that by default. Thing is, I have the Medibuntu version installed already. The file /usr/bin/skype contained this

#!/bin/sh

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so  /usr/bin/skype.real "$@"
So I deleted LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so, to leave just this,

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/skype.real "$@"
and the image is now the right way round. Looks like it was trying to fix a problem that wasn't there. Maybe it is needed for some webcams and not others.

I have got the microphone working a bit better. In the ALSA mixer volume control I found I had to set the Device to "USB Device..." rather than the sound card (HDA ATI SB in my case), and moved its volume up. It still sounds a bit muffled, as if it needs a treble control to adjust. Is there anything I can install to do this?

Return to “Hardware Support”