No sound with Win7 (virtualbox) in Mint 9

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

No sound with Win7 (virtualbox) in Mint 9

Post by vinoman »

I've installed Mint 9 64bit and then installed virtual box and installed Windows 7 64bit. Mint 9 runs fine, except there is no sound in Win7. I tried OSS, ALSA, and Pulse Audio and still no sound. What else should I try? The laptop is an Acer Extensa 4420 w/ATI video.

I only have Win7 on this laptop because I do some computer classes and I need both Linux and windows for the class.

Would be better to run the 32bit Mint 9 instead?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scoon1329

Re: No sound with Win7 (virtualbox) in Mint 9

Post by scoon1329 »

Hey
I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but have you added yourself to the 'vboxusers' group and also installed the virtualbox guest additions to the windows 7 machine?

/Joe
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

scoon1329 wrote:Hey
I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but have you added yourself to the 'vboxusers' group and also installed the virtualbox guest additions to the windows 7 machine?

/Joe
I installed the vbox guest additions, but I haven't added myself to vboxusers' group. Didn't have to in Mint 8 w/WinXP.

In Mint 8 32bit I had vbox with WinXP installed on it and the sound worked fine then. It may be a Win7 issue with vbox.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

I decided to install the Mint 9 32bit since I have a copy of WinXP 32bit that worked fine in Mint 8. But after I installed the 32bit version I get an error trying to install the wireless drivers. I then rebooted and I don't get the wireless driver program back!

How do I get that program to come up again? How do you get wifi to work with out it? Maybe this is an error in the 32bit version.

Too bad, I ended up installing Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit and had no trouble with wifi, installed Virtual Box and WinXP and everythings working. I've always liked Mint. Had better luck with Mint 8. It could have been the DVD burn. Who knows. I'll use Mint again in the future.

Return to “Hardware Support”