Isadora & 3G Modem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
konqi

Isadora & 3G Modem

Post by konqi »

guys i have a serious problem with my Mint 9, he is'nt opening my 3G modem (ZTE) :(

when i'm inserting my modem it should work like usb drive,but Isadora is not responding...i have the same problem in ubuntu 10.04

:( help!

p.s. sorry for bad english
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Isadora & 3G Modem

Post by Midnighter »

What is the exact modem model? I have a vodafone huawei K3765, had issues with earlier versions, but sets up brilliantly easy in ubuntu 10.4. What is yours? Exactly?
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

compass 885 and mf626 (Telstra NextG prepaid) works of the bat - but dosnt stay connected longer then 40 - 45 mins max (had same issue since 9.04)
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
konqi

Post by konqi »

Midnighter wrote:What is the exact modem model? I have a vodafone huawei K3765, had issues with earlier versions, but sets up brilliantly easy in ubuntu 10.4. What is yours? Exactly?
HSUPA USB MODEM MF637

it worked well on Mint 8 :(
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Mmm, what exactly are you doing with it? What are you expecting it to do, and it not doing? Have you tried inserting, waiting a minute, then right-click on network manager, choose Edit Connection, then Mobile Broadband, and then setup your connection? I did this with mine. It never seemed to auto-prompt me to set it up like i was told to expect, but manually it worked fine.Who is your provider?

Also, your English is fine, you have nothing to apologise for.
konqi

Post by konqi »

Midnighter wrote:Mmm, what exactly are you doing with it? What are you expecting it to do, and it not doing? Have you tried inserting, waiting a minute, then right-click on network manager, choose Edit Connection, then Mobile Broadband, and then setup your connection? I did this with mine. It never seemed to auto-prompt me to set it up like i was told to expect, but manually it worked fine.Who is your provider?

Also, your English is fine, you have nothing to apologise for.
as far as i know 3g modem has 2 modes of working

1: usb mode
2: modem mode

when i'm inserting the modem it should work like usb flash drive,then it needs a softwere to work in modem mode, it was ok on ubuntu 9.10 & mint 8

when i was inserting modem it was working in usb flash mode,i had access to it's memory size(where the modem softwere IS ) and when you run the modem softwere it's(modem) switching to modem mode...and i'm having internet

but now,when i'm inserting my modem,mint or ubuntu are'nt opening it like usb,,they are just not responding anyway..like whether I didn't insert anything ((

so if i'ts not gonna work like usb,then it can't work like a modem.. because the modem software switching the modem from usb mode to mode of modem

if there's no usb,what is gonna switch my software? :roll:

my operator is Orange
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

For the USB Modems that have a little memory card, this often confuses the Operating System.
It doesn't know if you want to use it as a flash-drive or a Modem. The OS automatically selects the memory device or does nothing.

What you need to do is look in the Synaptic Manager and install the application: usb_modeswitch
It tells the computer to use the USB as a Modem, and not as a memory device.

Install the 'usb_modeswitch' from Synaptic and re-boot. If all goes will it should boot the Modem
Of course, you still have to pre-configure the Network-Manager for Mobile Broadband.

There are many good topics on this in the Ubuntu Forums and in Ubuntu-Geeks Forum, as well as Arch/Linux Forums.

I use three, USB 3G Modems ... 2 have to use the usb_modeswitch application to work.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

when i first inserted the modems, the connection manager popped up asking for country, isp and data type and worked straight away afterwards?
Image Image
konqi

Post by konqi »

vrkalak wrote:For the USB Modems that have a little memory card, this often confuses the Operating System.
It doesn't know if you want to use it as a flash-drive or a Modem. The OS automatically selects the memory device or does nothing.

What you need to do is look in the Synaptic Manager and install the application: usb_modeswitch
It tells the computer to use the USB as a Modem, and not as a memory device.

Install the 'usb_modeswitch' from Synaptic and re-boot. If all goes will it should boot the Modem
Of course, you still have to pre-configure the Network-Manager for Mobile Broadband.

There are many good topics on this in the Ubuntu Forums and in Ubuntu-Geeks Forum, as well as Arch/Linux Forums.

I use three, USB 3G Modems ... 2 have to use the usb_modeswitch application to work.
thanks mate,i'll try :roll:
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

for those whos 3G modems that work (Australia), how long does your connection last?

mine rarely stays connected for no more then 35-45 mins at a time and then the internet connection stops responding and finally it disconnects and dosnt give me the option to reconnect from the network connection menu in which forcing me to physically disconnect the usb modem, re-insert and reconnect!

on xp on the telstra nextG connection manager, it stays connected for hours on end!

please could some one shed some light on this as its really become an annoyance
Image Image
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I usually use mine on my netbook while traveling on the train between Mandurah and Perth for work. It generally stays solid the whole time, tho signal strength does tend to drop in certain locales. My provider is vodafone, and it's a Huawei K3765. Connects flawlessly with Ubuntu 10.04. Haven't tried with mint 9 yet, may do so on the weekend. My journey time on the train is 50 minutes, and I often keep it running on the bus to and fro the station as well, so I get a good hour of straight use out of it. It's never given me any cause to believe it would fail before the netbook's battery does.

Actually, just remembered, stay at a mate's last weekend, and the net had just been shaped, so I plugged netbook into the mains, and ran from my wireless. Ran it most of the night and next day. No issues.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

cheers for your feedback midnighter.
i havnt tried to see how long the modem stays connected for while im in Perth, will try when im back home on next break.

i work away in the the bush, pilbra region, so i connect to the Telstra NextG network (MF626 modem ZTE). when i use the modem in xp via the telstra connection manager, it stays connected as long as i want, but the connection is no where near as long as xp when in mint.

i see how i go with the 2.6.33 kernel whether it stays connected longer, which im doubting

i tried to install the connection manager via wine, but i get DLL errors and dosnt run any further after install.

is there anything else i could try to make the connection last longer?
Image Image
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Telstra? Ewww :P

Yeah, i know man, they have the best reach, etc. :)

Sorry, since i have no real issues, and only had this mobile connection a few months, i've no idea what to suggest re: your issue. Sorry. If i come across any new info i'll be sure to post it back, but no idea at the moment. Good luck with it. :)
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

ok i noticed something in regards to the connection dropping out so often and quickly and im so certain to the reason behind it...its cooking!!!!!

my ZTE literally gets so hot that it makes me wonder if its causing any damage to the modem. under xp / windows, the ZTE remains cold / normal and hence the longer connectivity and no drop outs, at all.

so if this is the case, is the voltage being sent out to the usb modem is so much greater or higher then the windows usb power settings to the usb port???

i have NO idea how to display the power settings nor the usb modem port number to paste into this thread and absolute no idea how to change the usb settings and even where to look to find out.

can some one please shed some light to the issue that im experiencing atm

cheers
Image Image
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Ok, wiped ubuntu 10.04 last night, and installed Mint 9. Had to add usb-modeswitch (logged out and back in to be sure), but everything worked fine with my wireless broadband device. Sorry, all works fine, nothing helpful to add, but mine (listed above) works fine.

Logged back in, left-clicked on network-manager, and extra entry for Wireless broadband was there. Chose it, selected details, and all was good. Connects fine. Disabled wireless connection, and used only wireless bb, no issue.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

thanks for the replys, but to make it clear, i have no issues with NextG and wireless adapters connecting to the net.

My ZTE and compass connects with out any problems, its just that the ZTE modem gets very hot and the C885 remains abit on the warm side and when the ZTE gets hot, it disconnects (which i understand the reasons behind it) but the thing that baffles me is that the ZTE remains cool and stays connected like for almost forever on xp.

so im wondering if there is any usb port settings that i can monitor whether too much voltages (perhaps) is supplied to that device?

i know for a fact that the ZTE is not faulty as it runs perfectly on xp
Image Image
Capt Turk

Post by Capt Turk »

I'm running the 885 myself. My laptop has the ATI H3100 graphics. If I install the proprietary graphics drivers, the 885 goes flakey in the same way you describe. It is very slow to connect the first time, and if it loses connection for any reason, I have to reboot to get it to connect again. Running without the ATI drivers, it connects much quicker, stays connected, and will reconnect without rebooting.

With the ATI drivers installed, I've noticed a notable increase in the temperature of the 885 also. From what I've been able to find in my research on the subject, The ATI chips also control the USB ports. Uninstall the drivers and see if that helps.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

thats interesting cap turk, ill reinstall m9 on spare hhd without installing the proprietary graphics drivers for my nvidia.

correct me if im wrong, is there already a open source driver for my nvidia present on fresh install? if not is there a open source driver like fedora 13 offers for their nvidia cards, as ive noticed that it actually seemed much smoother (nvidia) running on fedora.

taken from fedora site:
4.1.6. Experimental 3D extended to free Nouveau driver for Nvidia
Fedora 12 included experimental 3D support for newer ATI cards in the free and open source Radeon driver, and now experimental 3D support has been extended in Fedora 13 to the nouveau driver for a range of NVIDIA video cards. Fedora and its sponsor Red Hat are dedicated to improving the quality and coverage of completely free accelerated video drivers. While we support user choice and do not prevent use of closed, proprietary drivers, we also recognize that these drivers sometimes conflict with and cause problems in the software written by FOSS community members. We prefer to honor the commitment of the FOSS community with our own commitment to free drivers that complement their work, and work in the upstream Nouveau community to make these drivers better. Simply install the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package to take advantage of this new feature.
so is it possible to do the same on mint?
Image Image
Capt Turk

Post by Capt Turk »

There is a rudimentary driver built into the kernel. it is a vesa driver, at least on mine. It works fine, and is much more stable. The only drawback to using it that I can see is that you lose all the eye candy. Myself, I don't really care about the eye candy.

You shouldn't have to re-install Mint to revert back to the kernel driver. Just go to the hardware install thingy and click the remove driver button at the bottom. You will have to restart for the removal to be completed. I do switch back and forth playing with it to see if I can figure out a way to make it work better, so have removed several times. There has only been a couple of times that it didn't work right. Then, I had to re-install.

Sad to say, my 885 has never been reliable since Mint 7. On 7, it connected instantly, almost never disconnected, ran cooler, got a stronger signal, and seemed to have a consistently faster speed.

Return to “Hardware Support”