Power Management Mint vs Ubuntu

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Power Management Mint vs Ubuntu

Post by colossus75 »

Hi all,
* this is meant for the developers of Mint.

I came across this article :
http://techreport.com/articles.x/18883/4

It was a link off of www.pcper.com.

within that article, there was testing using the new Ubuntu LTS on that new AMD Neo cpu system from Asus, the 1201T respectively. However, in comparison..from the metric of computing while running on battery power..Ubuntu LTS 10.04 failed in comparison to the netbook running Windows 7 Home Premium. As noted here : http://techreport.com/articles.x/18883/7

So I am curious..since myself, I try to pitch Linux to my clients when I am able to do so..but the one down side is..for mobile users is the battery life. What are the odds going forward for Mint that the power management can be improved over Ubuntu on which it is based?

Myself, I do run Linux Mint Helena Main and Linux Mint Elyssa KDE. I like both..prefer Helena though..Elyssa, is on my 2nd workstation/printer server.

I think if Mint's power management for netbook/notebook computer users can be improved about 30% - 40% over Ubuntu that would be another feather in the hat for Mint for reasons to migrate users over to Mint. I can't really do a test on my IBM thinkpad R51 running Mint Helena vs my windows xp on the same machine, since my battery is old already..as it stands I only get 25 min of power or so when Helena is running (approximately). I don't use my XP that much..so I haven't really noticed operating uptime while on battery power.

I hope the power management can be worked on for Mint 9 isadora..and possible a patch or something to improve battery life for mobile users. Since it is the new LTS.

Thanks for reading,
colossus75
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
16 GB Kllisre DDR3-1333 MHz ECC
500GB Samsung Evo 860 2.5" SATA SSD [OS]
2TB (main data drive EXT4)
2TB (backup data drive EXT4)
JasonLG

Re: Power Management Mint vs Ubuntu

Post by JasonLG »

Since no developers have responded I'll take a shot at replying.

From what I understand when you get that far down into the nuts and bolts of the system Mint and Ubuntu are identical. So improving Power Management by 30% to 40% over Ubuntu is highly unlikely without major changes that could break comparability with Ubuntu. Even if it were possible at this point the patches would undoubtedly be pushed upstream to Ubuntu so an improvement to Mint would be an improvement to Ubuntu also. Much like an improvement to Ubuntu is (hopefully) an improvement to Debian, Ubuntu's upstream counterpart.

Return to “Hardware Support”