USB Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AnthonyA

USB Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch

Post by AnthonyA »

HI

I posted a request for help in another area but no-one has answered. I probably posted in the wrong area.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest from the devs in helped people with this? Why?

Anyway, I've got a specific question. There are some good articles on fixing this but I'm a bit worried about 1 section in particular that appears to make changes to the kernel.
Full post is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=1

There are 2 sections that appear to make changes to the kernel.

wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git-repos/ubun ... /hid-ids.h
sudo cp ./hid-ids.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h

and then

You need to DL this file linuxwacom-0.8.6-1.tar.bz2 and then run these commands
make clean
make distclean
./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install
sudo cp src/2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
sudo depmod -a

I have the NVIDIA drivers installed. Last time I did anything with the kernel (Mepis 6 or 7) (upgraded kernel) X wouldn't boot, then had a hell of a time getting X working again.

Do I need to uninstall the nvidia drivers 1st before I try these commands?

Can someone please help? I can generally get most things working in Linux but this one is making me way nervous.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: USB Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello AnthonyA,
That is a very specific question,the most likely reason it has not been answered yet is no-one who knows the answer has read it yet.
Unfortunately I don't know the answer either,but would suggest giving it 2 or 3 days and if it remains unanswered bump it back to the top of the list.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.
oscar799
Forum Moderator
AnthonyA

Post by AnthonyA »

Thanks for responding oscar799
It's a shame no-one else has.

This is where I think Linux greatest weakness is. It seems to be near impossible to get help at times.

Even to the point that 1 linuxmint dev said in a previous post about bamboo support: Mine works!
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Have a look at this
http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search
The first 2 items won't help at all,they are my listings saying my Bamboo One works perfectly with both Mint 8 and Mint 9.
There are some comments on the other listings which may be helpful.
If that doesn't help I would suggest starting a new thread with a new post giving as much detail as you can.
Read the "Before You Post Read This" instructions here
it gives a clear explanation of the details needed.
AnthonyA

Post by AnthonyA »

thanks oscar799, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.
The thing that frustrates me so much is that apart from yourself, no-one has bothered to reply.

I did read the before you post, in particular: A - Search for a solution, both in the forum and on the internet - Google is your friend
I searched this forum and found an issue with wacom bamboo's. In that post, the guy actually found a fix as well and wanted some advice - the response from a dev was mine works, I guess the usb version is different. That's was it!

I found a solution and linked to it. I'm willing to try the solution - BUT I wanted to clarify if I need to uninstall my Nvidia drivers before I started the fix as it appears to patch the kernel.

Yes, I did forgot to mention what version, sorry - Mint 8 KDE. I've also tried latest ubuntu and mint 9. Same issue.

I have the Bamboo Pen and Touch USB. As to the Bamboo One working, maybe the latest Bamboo's are different versions or they are serial tablets (serial tablets appear to work). Latest USB Bamboo don't work out of the box as far as I can tell.
My previous wacom (intuos) works out of the box!
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

AnthonyA

you keep saying that your complaint is that nobody replied to your question.

Have you stopped to think amidst your self pity wallowing that the right person has not of yet read your post. Remember that none of the contributors to the forum live on it 24/7.

It is possible that nobody has the answer to your particular problem.

Stop taking it so personal and accept the fact that NOT ALL requests for help will be answered.

Best regards Keith
vincent

Post by vincent »

In response to the OP, I don't know whether or not the Nvidia driver is going to cause troubles, but if you're so worried, it can't possibly hurt to uninstall it, install the kernel module for your pen and touch, and then install the Nvidia driver again. You won't know whether or not it works until you have a go at it and try it! :P

Return to “Hardware Support”