IBM Thinkpad T43.......scroll not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Likesspace

IBM Thinkpad T43.......scroll not working

Post by Likesspace »

Hi guys,
First of all, I am a total newbie when it comes to using Linux.
Today is my first day using version 6 (Felicia) and this is the first and only Linux desktop that I've seen.
My question is this:
I have an IBM Thinkpad T43 that has both a trackpoint pointing device and a touch pad. I never use the touch pad but use the trackpoint constantly.
Anyway, my problem is that while holding down the center button, while using the trackpoint, I am able to scroll up and down a web page. At least this is the case in a Windows based system.
Basically the trackpoint will act like a mouse roller wheel.
Since installing Linux this function no longer works and I really miss having it.
If anyone can give me some direction here it would be greatly appreciated. This might be a dumb question but please remember that I know absolutely nothing when it comes to a Linux based system.
Now having said that, I will say this......
I've been playing with this OS for about an hour and I've already decided that it will be finding a permanent home on my laptop. I cannot believe that I waited so long to try something that is so obviously superior to anything that Microsoft has put out.
In short, I am amazed!
Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
randomvector
Level 1
Level 1

Re: IBM Thinkpad T43.......scroll not working

Post by randomvector »

I too have the same problem, I am using a Thinkpad Z60t with Linux Mint 9. I still have not found a way customize the middle button on the ultranav.

However I did find a solution if using ubuntu 6 but I've not found a way to do this on Linux Mint http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installin ... inkPad_X41

It seems to be about adding just two lines of code to get this to work but I've found know equivalent on Mint 9. if you do please let me know.
randomvector
Level 1
Level 1

Post by randomvector »

hello again I have solved the problem.

1. Go to software manager and download 'gpointing'
2. once installed go to 'Pointing devices'
3. On the left hand side you should see two icons select the on called TPPS/2 IBM Trackpoint.
4. Tick Use Wheel emulation and choose 2 from drop down menu next to the word button- here you can adjust scroll speed as well. Then click OK.

Hope this sorts your problem, just a quick question did you manage to get the Thinkpad special keys to work?
Likesspace

Post by Likesspace »

randomvector, thanks for the heads up!
I will give this a try tonight.
As for the special keys, every one that I've tried so far, worked right out of the box.
I really do appreciate your help with the scrolling. Hopefully I'll have it back soon.

Return to “Hardware Support”