HD sound from computer to tv Solved by upgradeing.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

HD sound from computer to tv Solved by upgradeing.

Post by kachilda »

Problem fixed Sort of. I upgraded my video from Nvidia Geforce 8400 to PNY Nvidia Geforce 250 and am runing hd sound through that instead of the mother board.

Hi. I have a computer with an integrated sound card that supports HD sound and video from my computer to my High Definition LG television The video was a no brainier but I can't seem to figure out how to get Linux to stream audio from my computer through my HD cable to my LG tv. Any help would appreciated. I'm also not sure if this is a newbie question are a hardware question so let me know if I should repost it under the newbie section. Thank you. Here are my hard ware specs.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor
Memory : 3542MB (508MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 9 Isadora
User Name : jeff (Jeff)
Date/Time : Sat 22 May 2010 06:42:08 PM PDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 8200/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - USB Internet Phone by TigerJet
Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - Lexicon Lambda
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
Macintosh mouse button emulation
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Video Bus
Logitech USB Mouse
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Receiver
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST3250310AS
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S
LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V
Generic- Compact Flash
Generic- SM/xD-Picture
Generic- SD/MMC
Generic- MS/MS-Pro/HG
Generic- SD/MMC/MS/MSPRO
TigerJet HardDisk
TigerJet CD-ROM

-PCI Devices-
RAM memory : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a2)
ISA bridge : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] LPC Bridge (rev a2)
SMBus : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SMBus (rev a1)
RAM memory : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
Co-processor : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Co-Processor (rev a2)
RAM memory : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
USB Controller : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 10)
USB Controller : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 20)
USB Controller : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 10)
USB Controller : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1) (prog-if 20)
IDE interface : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] IDE (rev a1) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Audio device : nVidia Corporation MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio (rev a1)
PCI bridge : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1) (prog-if 01)
IDE interface : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SATA Controller (non-AHCI mode) (rev a2) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
Ethernet controller : nVidia Corporation MCP77 Ethernet (rev a2)
PCI bridge : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
PCI bridge : nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Address Map
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] DRAM Controller
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control
Host bridge : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Link Control
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce 8200] (rev a2)
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)

37 Inch Lg Television 1280 by 768 Pixels max
Sorry for the over kill on the specs system profiler doesn't let you just copy part of a page to the clip board Thanks again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HD sound from computer to tv

Post by kachilda »

Hi again I need to add a little more info to the above or original post. In order to use high definition in windows 7 I have to have the High definition choice selected in my BIOS how ever with that option selected in my BIOS Linux mint wont do any audio and often freezes requiring a manual reboot which makes me wonder if this is a windows vista and above option only. If there is a Linux work around I eagerly look forward to hearing about it. Thanks again.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

Hi again I need to add a little more info to the above or original post. In order to use high definition in windows 7 I have to have the High definition choice selected in my BIOS how ever with that option selected in my BIOS Linux mint wont do any audio and often freezes requiring a manual reboot which makes me wonder if this is a windows vista and above option only. If there is a Linux work around I eagerly look forward to hearing about it. Thanks again.

This minor problem (above) was fixed. It turned out not to be a BIOS problem it just didn't like my usb sound card (Lambda Lexicon).
But I still Don't know how to configure it for high definition sound through my HD television. Any help would be much apricated Thank you.
Something else that would be appreciated is if Ubuntu would fix the problem with the sound drivers freezing up the system when ever you go to try any sound drivers other then the default that Ubuntu thinks you should use. Any ideas or will I just have to wait for the final release of Ubuntu 10.04 Thanks again Jeff.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

Something else that would be appreciated is if Ubuntu would fix the problem with the sound drivers freezing up the system when ever you go to try any sound drivers other then the default that Ubuntu thinks you should use. Any ideas or will I just have to wait for the final release of Ubuntu 10.04 Thanks again Jeff.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System freezing when you try to change sound drivers fixed. Here is the page with the fix.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-10-04- ... oblem.html

If that link doesn't work for some reason try this one http://kernel.net/ and follow the head lines. The sight is also under bookmarks by defult when you install Mint 9 Isadora. I hope this helps some one Can some one help me with getting sound out through my tv through a HD cable from my computer to my HD TV. The specks are on the post at the top. Much appreciated. Jeff.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

HD sound from computer to tv Uhh HELPPPPPPPP I tried a Google search I checked out the Ubuntu forums no luck can some one at least point me in the right direction. Am I using windows only supported hardware Throw a dog a bone or something if you have a spare Thank you. Specks at top of page as will as original post Thank's
clayp

Post by clayp »

If your geforce 8200 has hdmi out, it will also have audio passthrough. You won't be able to use another sound card and you must remove/disable it. If it does not have an hdmi, you can connect your tv to video via DVI and to audio using spdif (optical cable). If you don't have spdif use 3.5mm > RCA stereo cables to connect your PC to your receiver. If you don't have a receiver, then you can use one cable from the green to your audio in on the tv corresponding to the DVI connection.

HD sound just means that the sampling frequency/bitrate is greater than CD (44100/16). What comes through either HDMI or spdif is a digital signal or PCM depending on what your audio will do and what your receiver can accept. PCM will give you 48000/24 into 2 channels (per cable). spdif will give you 48000/16 into 6 channels. HDMI can send 96K/24 through 8 channels, plus it can bitstream. You don't have bitstream support with your hardware. nVidia chooses not to support that currently.

PCM is perfectly fine for most people. This means that your sound hardware decodes the digital source into electrical signal. Typically a surround receiver will have RCA inputs, and your PC will have 3.5mm jacks. The Green will typically be your Front left and right. The Black may be your center/subwoofer. The orange may be your rear channel. The mainboard manual will tell you what these are because they vary.

The order of quality from best to worst:

Bitstream audio. this lets your expensive receiver with its high-dollar hardware decode the sound immediately prior to amplification. You must have a receiver that supports it, a sound card (or intel coreI5 processor) that supports it, and hardware drivers that support it. For these reasons, you should not bother trying this on any linux. Get Windows 7 because the ultimate reason behind getting HD audio into a TV is BluRay and no distro, or Mac for that matter, supports it. ATI 5xxx cards and Asus xonar cardshave bitstream capability.

HDMI with passthrough. ATI 3xxx and 4xxx cards have sound hardware and PCM passthrough. This is the next best thing to bitstream.

SPDIF or optical audio. Digital to receiver or tv, but only in 48K/16. Possibly cleaner than PCM if your sound hardware is cheap or lousy (RE: intel or nvida).

PCM via 3.5mm > RCA. electrical signal, can degrade, can have transient intermodulation distortion, etc. Still a very good improvement over nothing.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

Finally a bone to chew on. Thanks clayp.
My mother board has HDMI And Optical out built into it anything else would have to be run directly through the integrated sound card.
I will try Optical first and go from there. It's a shame Linux does not support true HDMI. I know it's not the Linux communities fault they can only work with whats been made available to them but it's still a shame. Yet another reason I'm forced to use Windows. all will; I think Windows 7 will only require one service pack this time to work like it should. I find the more I use Linux the more I prefer it but I don't think I'm going to go all Linux yet Maybe in a year or two who knows. Enough rambling. Thanks again clayp I will give it a try and see what happens.
clayp

Post by clayp »

There are a number of people (with nvidia/intel hardware) who have audio over hdmi working. You can possibly get some idea of what you need to do from this forum:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthrea ... 519&page=3

As for Windows 7 I am a dual booter from DOS 6.2/Slackware days (1993 I believe), and I have no agenda here. Win7 64-bit is very good for many reasons, but the main reason is that it supports BluRay and HDCP; the second most important reason is that ATI and intel have drivers that support bitstreaming and there are people who have written software to utilise this.

I could just buy a bluray player and get the same effect, but I wanted to have my server to be able to do otf transcoding and store all movies with hd audio intact. So I have a Win7 box that uses AnyDVD-HD, handbrake, RipBot264, and mkvtoolnix so that I can get the movies on the server. It is also the primary playback machine using MPC-HC/ffdshow/ReClock. It feeds bitstreamed DTS-MA and TrueHD into my receiver via HDMI. The sound quality is incredible. In addition, almost all software and hardware worked out of the initial install. All I had to do was get the latest ATI driver set and figure those out! If time is money, then I saved much more than the cost of installing and configuring a linux box.

The linux server also has a browser-based, embedded-flash music/video server called subsonic that I can use to transcode on the fly to a very tiny (320x240) picture and then watch movies from anywhere on any pc. The server also rips radio shows that I like and will stream them as well as serve other media.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

I'm not totally against Microsoft I dual boot (Mint @ Win 7) myself and keep a third partition to check out knew distros as they become available.
I simply would prefer to get the same thing for little or no money rather then a lot of money when I can. I'm cheap what can I say but there are some things I don't like to skimp on and am willing to pay for and entertainment is one of them. O will maybe in a year or two. :)
Last edited by kachilda on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

Try going to sound in the mint menu, on the hardware tab, see if you can change the profile to one which outputs sound via your HDMI. sorry if some of those instructions are slightly off, doing it from memory.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

Tried it no luck. Thanks for the suggestion. :o
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

HD sound from computer to tv
--------------------------------------

Problem fixed Sort of. I upgraded my video from Nvidia Geforce 8400 to PNY Nvidia Geforce 250 and am runing hd sound through that instead of the mother board.

Return to “Hardware Support”