Intel CORE I3 problem???

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andydch

Intel CORE I3 problem???

Post by andydch »

Hello everyone,

In GRUB screen before booting using LiveCD I have to set acpi=off. If I dont, booting process will be stopped and screen will be displayed some code contains acpi.
After successfully booting, I see new problems. They are
- no baterry indicator, just icon but no indicator
- can't set brightnest

I hear from some of my friends in Indonesia if Ubuntu Lucid Lynx and others distros which based on Ubuntu have no support for Intel Core i3 or i5. Is it true?

How to solve this problem?

I use Toshiba Satellite L510 with Intel CORE i3 inside and ISADORA as main OS.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
andydch

Re: Intel CORE I3 problem???

Post by andydch »

no answer?
ronerman

Post by ronerman »

I'd like to know the answer to this myself, as I'm planning to build a i3 or i5 machine and run Mint 9 on it. Although, I don't think the problems you are having are unique to that processor.

Many laptop users are unable to adjust brightness (including me - Sony FW190 with Core 2 Duo processor). There are some solutions out there, but none have worked in my case.

I'm sure someone here will tell you how to fix the battery indicator, and maybe the brightness, as well.
andydch

Post by andydch »

hi ronerman,

i have found solution
somebody in ubuntu forums do modify kernel to make acpi on again
i have tested on my toshiba (with intel core i3 inside) and work very good...

only for 64 bit, u can download the kernel
1. http://www.coxei.com.ar/Cosas/linux-hea ... _amd64.deb
2. http://www.coxei.com.ar/Cosas/linux-ima ... _amd64.deb

after apply 2 files above, don't forget to execute these command
1. sudo update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.32.11+drm33.2-l505-acpi-rtl8191se-64bits-generic
2. sudo update-grub
3. check file /etc/default/grub, if u find "acpi=off" then delete it
4. restart with the new kernel

source : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost9367864
fearnot

Post by fearnot »

Hi I've got a Toshiba L510 PSLGXA-002002 Model Laptop with the Intel Core I3 just want to know will that Kernal work on this or not please. :?
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Fearnot, this thread was from back in May of 2010. That means with the release of Ubuntu 10.10 and Mint 10 the problem may have already been solved, You would be best served by running the Live CD on your system. You will probably have very good luck with installing. I have not seen any recent comments about the i3 or i5 CPUs having any issues. System76 even builds units with those CPUs, so there should really not be any problems at all.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

My acer laptop has an i3 processor. I haven't experienced any problems that I can relate to it whatsoever.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I have a Dell 1564 with Intel Core i3-330 processor. I do NOT have a video card. My system uses the integrated graphics processor. I have no problems with ANY distro installation I have tried. There is only one that has degraded performance due to the graphics processor and that's PCLinuxOS does not support 3D yet because their xorg is an old version that does not have support for the Core ix series graphics processors onboard.

Mint, Debian, LMDE, Ubuntu, MEPIS, openSUSE all work fine with it with no extra workarounds necessary to boot. You may have a faulty CD or DVD or the iso was bad. Or another hardware issue that is not related to the processor.
fearnot

Post by fearnot »

Hi Rivenathos I tried Linux Mint 10 & no good still will not even get into the normal OS page all I get is the first page where you got ten sec to push F4 or F6 to get into the sub menu which I don't know really what to do because I'm still a newbe at this I tried the first two of them with no luck plus I've tried a few others but still the same probelm get a screen full of (fff & numbers) then A lot of words then it stops & will not go any futher at all plus I'm in AUS as well from my normal tech I use told me the AUS Models have a hole lot of problems is this true because if so I'm pead off because I got it for that reason what can I do know please please.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

fearnot,
The problem is not with the i3 CPU. I think the problem may be related to your graphics chip. I do not know what it is, but that is normally the issue. If you run

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
in your terminal, that will output the video chipset and a few other internals.

You may be able to boot using compatibility mode. On the screen that has the countdown, click on it and choose compatibility mode from the options. I had to do that with Mint 6 and 7, I believe. I stated burning to DVDs instead of CDs, and have not had any issues anymore.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Hardware Support”