[Solved] USB Modem detection

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sbeaber4

[Solved] USB Modem detection

Post by sbeaber4 »

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am running LM 9 and I am having problems detecting my USB modem. So, when I had LM8 I did manage to get the modem detected. Then I upgraded and now, for the life of me, I cannot get the modem to detect. It is a Softbank CO2LC USB modem on a NEC LL550/K. I have used gnome-ppp and wvdial. But it fails to recognize the modem. It reads the USB as a storage device "USB Modem". On windows and mac their is software involved. The network app has an option for the carrier it just fails to read that the modem is inserted.I go through all the options such as ttyUSB0 to no avail. Help please, internet is really needed.

Thanks,
Steven
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: USB Modem detection

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Try installing "usb modeswitch" from Software Manager. It should make the modem discoverable as a modem and not a storage device.
sbeaber4

Post by sbeaber4 »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I updated usb modeswitch to the latest version. When I ran it said my usb_modeswitch configuration file was not present. I created one (blank file) and now it says "No default vendor/product ID given. Aborting" Now, if I need to input that information what is it and how do I get it. Thanks for your help so far!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Here is the link to the main "usb_modeswitch" site, they have everything you might want to know about USB Modems

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

You might also, checkout the Ubuntu Forums, they have a huge section of topics on this issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=73354644

What works in Ubuntu ... usually works in Mint. As long as, you use the corresponding distro versions.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I use 3 different USB Modems (in the US), and I have found that once installing the "usb_modeswitch" application from the Synaptic Manager
the Mint operating system, installed it and whatever other dependancies needed automatically. I did nothing else. All my USB 3G Modems work.
sbeaber4

Post by sbeaber4 »

Hey everyone

Thanks for all your help. Im going to try to reinstall modeswitch. Here is an example of someone who got the same thing working for their computer

http://yyatsuo.com/?p=86

sorry most of it is in Japanese.
sbeaber4

Post by sbeaber4 »

This is what I get when I run usb_modeswitch now
Now, looking for target devices ...
Found devices in target mode or class (1) <--- new
Looking for default devices
No default device found. Is it connected? Bye.

Following the posted link I gave previously. When I do that modprobe the computer reads that it is connected. But I have to do that every time and it still reads the usb modem as a storage device..
sbeaber4

Post by sbeaber4 »

No cigar yet. I will attempt to reinstall and go from there.
sbeaber4

Post by sbeaber4 »

Success!! Partially. I am going through Gnompe-ppp I unchecked some of the boxes and clicked the stupid mode to be on.

The problem was that despite being softbank, it is emboile carrier and I was having a password number conflicting error.
Ill try again on restart. But as I write this, I'm online.

-------------------------

Yes it works. Bit of a strange dance we must do every time.

Upon Bootup
1. sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1c9e product=0x9900
2. in terminal sudo gnome-ppp
3. Username: em
Password: em
Number *99***1#
4. In options check off "Check carrier line"
Check on "*(stupid mode)"
5. Now when you insert the usb modem open terminal and run gnome-ppp and then connect. Strange but if you do it afterword or before it will not read the modem. Lol. Strange. But success! And no dinky software needed. Three cheers for LinuxMint

Return to “Hardware Support”