weird keyboard problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fattest

weird keyboard problem

Post by fattest »

I just installed Mint 9 on a persistent liveusb, and after I installed a gtk2 theme, an icon set and added a desktop panel my keyboard will stop working when I relogin after a shutdown/restart. The weird part is that hotkeys will work (i.e. alt-f for file, ctrl-alt-t for terminal), but in the terminal I can't type anything. Its something to do with the settings in .gconf/.gconfd because when I delete those folders, logout and log back in the keyboard is working again. It's not specific to one machine, I've tried the liveusb on many computers and the same problem occurs. I also tried plugging a USB keyboard into my laptop, same problem. Any ideas? I never had this problem with other distros...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fattest

Re: weird keyboard problem

Post by fattest »

I think I've narrowed it down to the icon set I'm using. I made a copy of my .gconf folder before choosing the new icons, rebooted my laptop and when I logged in the keyboard wasn't working. When I went to command line, deleted .gconf and copied back the old one then relogged in everything was fine. Why would the icons stop the keyboard from working properly?

BTW not all the keys stop functioning, []{}=+;'"/? and CR (enter) work fine, in addition to hotkeys (combinations of ctrl/alt/shift+[a-z])
fattest

Post by fattest »

ok its not the icons, its whatever is being set in ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard. when i login i can not type anything, i switch to tty1, delete said folder, relogin and the keyboard is working. but this is something i have to do everytime i restart...
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

fattest wrote:ok its not the icons, its whatever is being set in ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard. when i login i can not type anything, i switch to tty1, delete said folder, relogin and the keyboard is working. but this is something i have to do everytime i restart...
I had almost the same problem when the xorg.conf file was faulty in CentOS. Keyboard settings come from xorg.conf, so it can be a one choice ..
fattest

Post by fattest »

thanks for the suggestion. i have a fedora live usb lying around, i'll compare the xorg.conf to my mint live usb and see if there's a difference.

Return to “Hardware Support”