Update on AMD/ATI performance?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Update on AMD/ATI performance?

Postby Intio on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:03 pm

I was wondering if the received wisdom that linux users should avoid the AMD/ATI route of CPU/GPU still holds true in 2010? A few years ago it seemed to be common advice that you went with Nvidia graphics cards for linux. Recently though I have seen an article which suggests this is no longer the case. Throughout a series of benchmarks the ATI card was only mildly behind the Nvidia - close enough to make no real difference (according to the tester), and outperformed the Nvidia in one of the more 'full on' tests. Now I know that this was only one set of cards tested, but I was more interested in what people here have to say.

I've looked through many posts on this forum, and it seems like the number of people having problems with ATI drivers are now no more numerous than the number of Nvidia users reporting problems. I'm thinking of assembling a system some time this year, with a low budget being very important, so going down an AMD/ATI route would shave a small amount off the total price.

P.S. Are there any 'optimisations' that would be missed if someone used an AMD CPU with an Nvidia card, what with AMD and ATI being together now?
Asus Eee 701 Netbook - 2GB OCZ RAM
Debian Edition - Xfce
Intio
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Update on AMD/ATI performance?

Postby cebalrai on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:04 am

Intio wrote:I was wondering if the received wisdom that linux users should avoid the AMD/ATI route of CPU/GPU still holds true in 2010? A few years ago it seemed to be common advice that you went with Nvidia graphics cards for linux. Recently though I have seen an article which suggests this is no longer the case. Throughout a series of benchmarks the ATI card was only mildly behind the Nvidia - close enough to make no real difference (according to the tester), and outperformed the Nvidia in one of the more 'full on' tests. Now I know that this was only one set of cards tested, but I was more interested in what people here have to say.

I've looked through many posts on this forum, and it seems like the number of people having problems with ATI drivers are now no more numerous than the number of Nvidia users reporting problems. I'm thinking of assembling a system some time this year, with a low budget being very important, so going down an AMD/ATI route would shave a small amount off the total price.

P.S. Are there any 'optimisations' that would be missed if someone used an AMD CPU with an Nvidia card, what with AMD and ATI being together now?

The Nvidia drivers seem like crap to me. Not sure how Ati could be worse.
Dell XPS 1730 laptop
Core 2 Extreme @ 2.8 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTX w/SLI, RAID-0
Linux Mint 10 64-bit, Windows 7
cebalrai
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Hardware Support