Gigabyte Hybrid TV Tuner (GT-PTV-TAF-RH)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sakisds

Gigabyte Hybrid TV Tuner (GT-PTV-TAF-RH)

Post by sakisds »

Hello everyone, i recently replaced Ubuntu with Mint 9(Gnome - 64bit) and i am really happy, everything worked out of the box, except my new tv tuner. Its a Gigabyte Hybrid TV Tuner (Model: GT-PTV-TAF-RH). I tried some solutions I found but I can't get it to work. It seems that the card is recognized by the system(at /dev/video0) but when i try to run tvtime-scanner I get this:

Code: Select all

$ tvtime-scanner --device=/dev/video0 --input=6
Reading configuration from /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
Scanning using TV standard PAL.
videoinput: Card refuses to set its input.
Please post a bug report to http://tvtime.net/
indicating your card, driver, and this error message: Invalid argument.

No tuner found on input 0.  If you have a tuner, please
    select a different input using --input=<num>.
I tried to use --input=<num> with a lot of numbers(0-20) but no luck.

I checked with lspci and I got this:

00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:06.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7131/SAA7133/SAA7135 Video Broadcast Decoder (rev d1)
01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)

Any help would be really appreciated :) (Also, I don't really care about capturing analog signal, I only want to watch DTV).

Edit: I checked the sticky about tv tuners but it didn't help much :/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Gigabyte Hybrid TV Tuner (GT-PTV-TAF-RH)

Post by kwisher »

sakisds,

This card looks to use the same tuner chip as my Kworld-115's. Instructions to get it working with Linux are below. I can provide further assistance if you are still having problems.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Kworld_ATSC_110

Hope this helps.
sakisds

Post by sakisds »

First of all, thanks a lot for the help.

I followed the steps on the tutorial smoothly and without errors but tvtime won't change its mind, it still gives me the same error. Do you have any other ideas?
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

What type of signal are you using? Cable, satellite, antennae? Are you connected to the correct input of the card? One is for analog and the other is for digital.
sakisds

Post by sakisds »

I am using antenna signal and there is only one input on the card(and one s-video). But I don't think its that, because the card is not recognized at all by tvtime. Is there any other program I should try?

Edit: I tried to set up the card at my windows partition and it worked, so i am pretty sure the connections are fine.
Edit 2: I tried to use my old Aver TV Super 007 and it worked out of box, tvtime recognized it at once. But with this one I can't watch DTV, so I need to fix the gigabyte tuner.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

As per my previous link, you did copy the firmware file (dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw) to /lib/firmware? Does your /etc/modules file look like mine below?

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
saa7134
saa7134-dvb
saa7134-alsa
After these modifications you will need to reboot to load the tuner card drivers. When I search for your tuner card the pictures I have seen show two input ports (http://www.gigabyte.eu/Products/TVCard/ ... PTV-TAF-RH).
sakisds

Post by sakisds »

My /etc/modules look like this:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
rtc
wacom
saa7134
saa7134-dvb
saa7134-alsa
Wacom is there for my drawing tablet and rtc was there from the start.
Also I can't find the dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw, only a dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw. I will check if I did something wrong.

About the input ports, the second is for FM.

Edit: It seems that the card is working now, I will try to set it up and I will let you know how it goes.
Edit 2: No good, there is no /dev/adapter*, only the analog antenna is recognized and I am not getting any signal out of it.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Please PM me and I can send you the firmware file.
sakisds

Post by sakisds »

PM sent, check your inbox.
mercier

Post by mercier »

i had same problem - and although it seems it was solved here, maybe what helped me will help someone else.
here is what i did:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... 1&ie=UTF-8

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8283460

also, i installed wscan and scanned with it:
http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/

it created channels.conf file im my /home and from there it was easy to use it with me-tv to get channels and watch tv.

However, by far the easiest thing to do was using VLC. Open file --> channels.conf and thats it. Watch tv in VLC. ;)

Return to “Hardware Support”