The "V" key does not respond

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

The "V" key does not respond

Postby ddavid123 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 pm

For a few weeks now, I haVe noticed that the key "V" does not work in lowercase. So I tried to reset to the defaults, but that did not work. So today, I bought a new keyboard, a HP USB multimedia keyboard, but I still haVe the same problem! So I am thinking it is not a hardware problem, but I could not think of a better place to post this! In Linux Mint 8, I had problems with the backspace and t key not working, then a few days later, working fine! Since I bought the new keyboard, I know it is not a hardware problem, but a software problem. I would really appreciate any ideas because this is getting Verry, Verry, annoying lol :roll: :lol:

Microsoft Windows, as easy to break as it's name suggests!

Linux, as cool as cool can get!
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: The "V" key does not respond

Postby DrHu on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Have you read this
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33561
More context/data reference your hardware/software setup could help..

Look in the keyboard layout of your version of mint that is installed, they are located under different names in different versions, depending on the desktop being used

However, they all are keyboard layouts/selections
--the default installation keyboard is US, you can do some testing and you could also do it with a fonts selection or in a word processor, does it work in those applications/utilities..

Do some keyboard testing in the terminal (Konsole for KDE desktop)
--does lowercase v work there; are you inadvertently activating shift-lock on your keyboard, have you set up any special keyboard mapping, do you use a non generic keyboard, ie arranged for a specific hardware system (HP, Dell etc)
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Hardware Support