Memory missing ? [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Xavier

Memory missing ? [SOLVED]

Post by Xavier »

Hi,

I have installed a Mint Helena KDE 64bit. My server has 4Go of memory (verified into the bios) but, when I look
at the amount of memory available with free I have this values, only 3.3 Go detected :-(

Code: Select all

fatboy bin # free  -l
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       3348688    2900796     447892          0     141360    1054228
Low:       3348688    2900796     447892
High:            0          0          0
-/+ buffers/cache:    1705208    1643480
Swap:      1020116          0    1020116
I known that Helena KDE 32bit requires the PAE kernel but in this case I don't understand what is the problem...

any module ? any idea ?

thanks,
Xavier
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Memory missing ?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Check the version of Mint you have installed. There have been reports of people downloading what they thought was Mint 9x64 and actually getting the 32 bit version. This would give the 3.3 GB memory stat you are seeing.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

There is no doub it's a 64bit (uname => Linux fatboy 2.6.31-22-generic #60-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 27 02:41:03 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
It seems to be an hardware problem but I don't understand what ... maybe the ram speed very strange...

thx
Xavier
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I notice that you are using Mint on a server. This may not mean anything since I am not familiar with server applications, but on many PCs a section of the installed ram is dedicated to things like on-board graphics cards, etc. and not available for the OS to use as general memory.

I have seen systems whose BIOS says that 4 GB of memory is installed but the OS only sees 3.5 GB or less due to some ram being sequestered for special purposes.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

I think that too... I tried various distributions and I allways "saw" 3.3Go of memory.

thx,
Xavier

Return to “Hardware Support”