Please help diagnose a sleep/waking problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thoughton

Please help diagnose a sleep/waking problem

Post by thoughton »

Hello all,

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me diagnose a problem I'm having with sleeping Linux Mint.

I've recently installed Linux Mint 8 on my desktop Dell i7, and everything worked beautifully first time - except putting the system to sleep.

Well, it's the waking up that's the problem.

I can Suspend the system fine, but when I try to wake it up it seems the system unit itself wakes but I don't get any signal on the display.

I've also noticed that once this happens I can also no longer ping the system.

So at a very uneducated guess, it seems to me that either the network or the display system - or both - are failing to wake up.

I'm using wired ethernet network connection.

I'm using the "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver", but I'm pretty sure I tried sleeping using the default graphics driver and experienced the same problem.

The graphics driver is the only proprietary driver I use. I've disabled the proprietary Broadcom wireless driver as I don't use wireless.

Here are some bits and pieces about my system:

Code: Select all

@minty ~ $ uname -a
Linux minty 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Code: Select all

Dell Studio XPS™ -(D03SX01)
Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 4.8GT/sec)
3072MB (3x1024) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri Channel
512MB ATI® Radeon® 4850 Graphics card
500GB Serial ATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive
16X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive (DVD & CD read and write)
Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio
Please don't hesitate to let me know if there are any other bits of information that would be useful to help diagnose this problem. For example, if there are any logs you'd like to see the contents of, or other commands you'd like to see the output from.

I'd really, really appreciate any help on this matter. I'm at something of a loss on my own.

Many thanks in advance,

thoughton.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bob5

Re: Please help diagnose a sleep/waking problem

Post by bob5 »

hi

- have you installed any update lately ??

-which level of updates do you have enabled ??

thanks
thoughton

Post by thoughton »

Hi bob5,

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Yes, I keep my system regularly up-to-date using Update Manager, Package Manager and Software Manager.

In Update Manager I have levels up to 3, "Safe Packages", selected. Those 3 have ticks in both the "Safe?" and "Visible?" columns. None of the higher levels have ticks in any column.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

thoughton.
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

-do you have plans to get mint 9 ?
thoughton

Post by thoughton »

bob5 wrote:-do you have plans to get mint 9 ?
Sure! I didn't realise it was out to be honest - I've been battling with this problem on and off for so long that it must've passed me by.

I'll torrent it while I'm at work today.

Do you think it will help?
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

two things do beforing any Drivers :

1)install all updates then restart .

2) mark level four & five as "Safe" and "Visible" then install any updates , This will update the kernel then restart .

now install the driver

hope it helps !
thoughton

Post by thoughton »

Hi,

I just thought I'd reply to say upgrading to Mint 9 fixed my problem! :)

And even better, I didn't even have to do a full re-install. Instead I followed the following instructions on how to upgrade from 8 to 9 using apt:

http://www.jonboy60.com/2010/06/17/howt ... 9-via-apt/

(This made me particularly happy as I like to stay away from anything that alters boot records and the like as much as possible, especially given my current triple-boot setup.)

The only additional steps I did to the above post, which I'm not sure are strictly needed, were to uninstall the ATI drivers before doing the update, and also to do the entire update from a pure Xterm login.

Thanks very much bob5 for the suggestion of updating to 9, and I hope this information comes in useful for someone else too.

Cheers - from a now entirely satisfied Mint user,

thoughton.

Return to “Hardware Support”