Two finger touches on touchpad make pointer jump wildly

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Two finger touches on touchpad make pointer jump wildly

Postby recent-convert on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:49 am

If a second finger brushes the touchpad, the pointer twitches all over the screen. This is massively irritating because it's very sensitive.

I multiboot Mint 9, Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 13 on that laptop. Until a few days ago Ubuntu and Fedora didn't have this problem (even firmly putting two fingers on the touchpad only makes the pointer deviate slightly). Now they have the exact same issue. Since I update fairly religiously, I think a recent update common to all three distros has changed something.

Since this bug occured I've reinstalled Mint, which fixed the problem, and am now downloading the backlog of updates selectively to try and pinpoint which one(s) may be the cause. I'll post in this thread if I do find a culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a workaround? I found one or two mentions of similar problems, but not the same and no fixes. Also, is there a relatively painless way of rolling back updates after installing? I don't want to have to reinstall all three distros if I can narrow it down to just one update. (I appreciate I'll probably have to find how to undo updates in Fedora separately.)

Edit: all GNOME editions
Edit #2: okay, Fedora isn't exhibiting this behaviour now. I don't understand this bug at all...
recent-convert
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support