Trouble installing Nvidia driver

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alec W

Trouble installing Nvidia driver

Post by Alec W »

Hello,
I just switched from an older version of Ubuntu (where I was able to install my graphics card using EnvyNG) to Linux Mint 9 XFCE edition. However it seems that EnvyNG is not supported in the latest version of Ubuntu or Linux Mint so this method is obsolete. A quick search informed me that I could install the driver through the "Preferences > Hardware Drivers" program, however the list is blank with no proprietary drivers showing up. Are there any other ways to install this driver? Or is there something I'm missing or forgetting to do?

If it helps, "lspci -vvnn" returns this for the card:

Code: Select all

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] [10de:0614] (rev a2)
	Subsystem: Device [19f1:0e79]
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
	Region 0: Memory at 94000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Region 1: Memory at 80000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Region 3: Memory at 92000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
	Region 5: I/O ports at 3000 [size=128]
	Expansion ROM at <ignored> [disabled]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
	Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Trouble installing Nvidia driver

Post by proxima_centauri »

It should show up, unless some packages that show Hardware Drivers the options for your card are not included in the XFCE CE.

In any case you can manually install the package "nvidia-current" from Synaptic Package Manager - your card looks recent enough.
Alec W

Post by Alec W »

Thank you for the fast reply. Installing that package added the driver to the list (called nvidia_current), however it tells me that the driver is activated but not in use. I've also noticed that my monitor resolution has decreased. Was there something else I needed to install besides the nvidia_current package?
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

You have to restart after the update for the driver to be in use, also check the NVIDIA X Server Settings preferences to change the resolution.

Return to “Hardware Support”