No Sound Toshiba U205-S5067

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No Sound Toshiba U205-S5067

Postby freedomphon on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:28 pm

I have searched and searched and have tried many of the suggested fixes for this problem but have not yet found one that works. I have a Toshiba U205-S5067 laptop which has the Intel HD AD1981 sound card. I hibernated my computer a while back and when I did it made it so that I have no sound. I tried reinstalling Vista with the recovery disk to see if that would work, and well it didn't. I know the sound works because I can boot with option ACPI=off and the sound will work but not well. i have also tried to use kernel 2.6.23-rc5 which is supposed to have better support for the intel hda cards with no fix. Does anyone have a suggestion?
freedomphon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:00 pm

I would not expect Vista to work in Linux either :)
You are a bit unclear as to what you've done
I've bumped this post so I'll see it and consider a solution
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby freedomphon on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:31 pm

Husse,

Man I hope you can help me. So here is the deal. I have Mint installed on my laptop. A while back I set the computer to Hibernate. After coming back from hibernate I noticed that I had no sound. I played around with with alsaconf and tried to add stuff to the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base with no luck. I even recompiled a new kernel 2.6.23-rc5 with no luck. I finally decided to reinstall Vista in hopes that would work. The only thing I can find that helps is booting with boot option acpi=off. That seems to work but it disables other laptop features. Any idea? One of my buddies seems to think that the sound card some how got disabled.

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks.
freedomphon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:07 am

Now I see why you brought Vista back...
I have seen a problem similar to yours (but don't remember if it was sound or wireless) that was solved by a fresh install of XP that waked the card....
Can't remember where though
Check BIOS for options for sound
If you have home on a separate partition a fresh install may be an easy to use helper
Hope you appreciate that I can't have solutions for everything as I don't have every hardware configuration to play with....
But I think a possible explanation could be that the sound card is still sleeping...
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby freedomphon on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:53 am

I think the card is still sleeping too. However, I tried reinstalling Vista and XP and still nothing. Any suggestions?
freedomphon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:19 pm

No
but I will try to contemplate a solution, and try to catch one of my sons who is a real hardware guru....but not easy to get in touch with :)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby freedomphon on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:35 pm

thanks much, really appreciate the help. any one else have an idea?
freedomphon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support