My Book disk drive is not mounted during boot [Solved]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hlupost

My Book disk drive is not mounted during boot [Solved]

Post by hlupost »

I have a "My Book" (mirror edition) on a USB connection. It has worked flawlessly - a Western Digital icon turned up on the desktop from the first run of Mint 9 - but now I get this message during boot: "The disk drive for /media/My Book is not ready yet or not present. Continue to mount or press S to stop mounting or M for manual recovery."

Pressing either s or m does not help and Mint just hangs. I have been able to make it work by forcing a shutdown (pressing the "on button" ), cutting the power to the Western Digital drive, reconnecting and turning on the pc. But the problem persists and I to my knowledge I haven't changed anything.

Entry in fstab looks like this:
#Entry for /dev/sdh1 :
UUID=345CAFB75CAF7272 /media/My\040Book ntfs defaults,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077 0 0

Can anybody help me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: My Book disk drive is not mounted during boot

Post by remoulder »

Faulty drive perhaps?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
hlupost

Post by hlupost »

Maybe a periodic error because now it seems to be ok. I just wonder - is that how Mint normally behaves when a drive errs during the OS startup phase? It surprised me that the system repeatedly hung and that pressing either s or m did not help. Is the solution to such a situation to start Mint in safe mode and edit fstab?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

If the drive is mounted in fstab it is effectively a permanent mount and the OS will keep attempting to mount it. Not sure why the options fail to work but being a USB drive, do you need this to be mounted in fstab or could you mount it from the desktop or at login?

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
hlupost

Post by hlupost »

I would like it to mount automatically because it is a backup drive. Is there a better way of doing it? (thank you for answering my newbie questions :) )
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

hlupost wrote:I would like it to mount automatically because it is a backup drive
How often do you use it for backup? If every day then fine, if only occasionally you might be better just mounting it when needed? If you run a backup script, you could mount the drive in the script. You should also (though haven't tried this myself) be able to mount the drive in your Startup Programs by creating a command such as udisks --mount /dev/sdb1 --mount-fstype ntfs. You could try this in a terminal first by commenting out the line in fstab and restarting, and this assumes your drive is at /dev/sdb, use sudo fdisk -l to list devices.

hlupost

Re: My Book disk drive is not mounted during boot [Solved]

Post by hlupost »

Thank you for helping.

Return to “Hardware Support”