SSD Performance

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pim

Re: SSD Performance

Post by pim »

Hello,
I'm an ubuntu user and I'm planning to install mint. I have a brand new SSD Drive (OCZ Agility 2 Series).
I want that the OS supports trim.
If I install Mint 9 with the live cd, and then install the kernel 2.6.34, will it be ok ? Is this kernel stable ?
Is there something special to do when making the partitions ? (/ /swap and /home) ?
Thanks
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SSD Performance

Post by ej64 »

pim wrote:Hello,
I'm an ubuntu user and I'm planning to install mint. I have a brand new SSD Drive (OCZ Agility 2 Series).
I want that the OS supports trim.
If I install Mint 9 with the live cd, and then install the kernel 2.6.34, will it be ok ? Is this kernel stable ?
Is there something special to do when making the partitions ? (/ /swap and /home) ?
Thanks
Depending on your RAM size and your apps you may not need a swap partition alltogether. With > 2GB RAM, no vitual machines, no exessive image or video editing and no suspend to disk you probably don't need a swap partition.

My recommendations from my previous posting are running very well on my machine. I set vm.swappiness to 10.

Actual stable kernel is 2.6.35.4. You may use the kernel from ubuntu mainline.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

Return to “Hardware Support”