Fail on portable

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ander1111

Fail on portable

Post by ander1111 »

I downloaded the Live DVD iso and tried it on my HP portable, but the graphics were wrong—the desktop was divided into shaded horizontal bars about 1/3" inch high.

I could see well enough to look through the menus. I figured it was a driver problem, so I opened Control Center, then Software Manager, then System, found the hardware drivers section, and found the page about installing Nvidia drivers.

I clicked Activate, and there was a long period while the drivers were copied from the DVD. A message then appeared that said that for the changes to take effect, I'd have to restart the computer. Well, obviously, if I did that, I'd be back where I started. So I take it you can't preview LM on any systems that need Nvidia drivers?

Wouldn't it be better to set this up so it auto-detected such basic things?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Fail on portable

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The Nvidia drivers are installed from the repositories, not the DVD and are only usable after the OS is installed on your hard drive.

When you try to install the drivers while running the live DVD, they are not added to the ISO file on the DVD so when you restart to complete the installation, the drivers are lost along with any other changes made during the live DVD session.

Return to “Hardware Support”