Asus UL30JT

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcduarte2000

Asus UL30JT

Post by mcduarte2000 »

Hi,

Does anybody here have already bought the new Asus UL30JT? Any issues with it running Linux Mint? I am in the process of buying a new computer and want to decide which one to buy.

Regards,

Miguel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Asus UL30JT

Post by ej64 »

The dual GPU switching will not work sufficiently at the moment. Mint 9 is based on kernel 2.6.32 and you will need at least 2.6.34. I'm not sure how this has develloped over time, but I think GPU switiching with Linux still is some tricky work even wih the latest kernel (2.6.35 about to be released). Anyway X has to be restarted to switch the GPU, and this behaviour is not planned to be changed in the near future afaik.

I'ld buy something with an ATI GPU for the upcoming kernel 2.6.35 will support extended power savings with Radeon GPUs.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
mcduarte2000

Post by mcduarte2000 »

Thanks, my other option is the Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820TG, which brings the ATI Radeon 5470. It has some problems but all of them seem to be able to be solved. I think I'll go for it.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

running m9 on UL50VT - dual GPU switching is a no go. i have to go into the BIOS, IDE, then enable to compatibility mode to activate the Nvidia G210M. and only then will the monitor brightness (fn+f5) work, not when on intel gpu even after trying the brightness app and the ubuntu tweak - none have worked so far including all other linux distro's - a real show stopper there.... :evil: .

also unable to completely turn off wifi (fn+f2) to conserve battery power - although it shows inactive in the network manager, it still stays powered on.

i can get close onto 8 hrs running on w7 on power saver mode (battery) which turns off the nvida and runs off the intel hybrid gpu. ill be lucky to see 3 hrs on m9 which is absolutely poor on the go (mobile) as i travel alot.

TBO i only use m9 when plugged into power and w7 when running on battery mode.

other then that, m9 runs real sweet on this laptop and all compiz settings are set to ultimate while on intel gpu.

i didnt choose to run the nvidia gpu on m9 as for some reason, the nvidia drivers kept getting corrupt out of the blue and would alow me to start xserver thingy - so i gave up on it and leave it full time on intel gpu - no issues what so ever on the intel gpu - nil zippo!
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image

Return to “Hardware Support”