Huawei K3565 Mobile Broadband and Mint 9 - advice?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alun_sundry

Huawei K3565 Mobile Broadband and Mint 9 - advice?

Post by alun_sundry »

I got the Vodafone Top Up and Go package (UK) yesterday, a Huawei K3565 dongle and 3gb credit. I thought it'd be simple as things had been fine with Mobile Broadband since Mint 6, with some very minor fiddling when I was with 3 for a week. Apparently kernel change has complicated things, but I've tried Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10, as well as OpenSuse 11.2 and the dongle won't connect. I've tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of Mint 9 and Ubuntu 10.04.

I've tried the default settings and adding web and web for the password boxes, I've tried open DNS settings, all to no avail. And because Vodafone use compression, if I attempt to download via Windows 7 any tgz files to add, e.g usb-modeswitch, the files arrive mangled, so I can't get any non-standard programs to help out. I'm also hoping it's not necessary as I want far less Linux fiddling now, it's a bit too wearing.

Maybe someone's sussed this out. Thanks in advance.

(I edited the heading of this because I suspect other people in the dark have been clicking here looking for info...)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Huawei K3565 Mobile Broadband and Mint 9 - advice?

Post by remoulder »

Your post is a little confusing and I don't quite understand why the use of compression means you get mangled files? If the connection is working under Windows then surely the compression doesn't matter? Here are a couple of links that 'might' help, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=43870 but other than that, you might want to search for vodaphone mobile connect on the ubuntu forums.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
alun_sundry

Re: Huawei K3565 Mobile Broadband and Mint 9 - SOLVED

Post by alun_sundry »

The problem was that Mint 9 and Ubuntu 10 have the wrong apn for newer 3gb expiring each month Top Up & Go deals with Vodafone.

The apn should be: ppbundle.internet

I'm guessing that the other apn, which I think was pp.internet, still applies for anyone with the 1gb non-expiring deal.

Rather than alter the relevant file I just chose the 'mine isn't listed' option while setting up the new connection and filled in the apn. 'web' and 'web' don't seem to be necessary in the other boxes.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

alun_sundry wrote:The problem was that Mint 9 and Ubuntu 10 have the wrong apn
In that case can you report it as a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/community.linuxmint.com
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

Alas, I'm banned from the Ubuntu forum and Launchpad. I invite anyone else who reads this to do so though. And unfortunately the old apn still applies for some customers.

Return to “Hardware Support”