USB Modem not connecting

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
weaston

USB Modem not connecting

Post by weaston »

Hi,

I know this has come up a few times on this forum, sorry for bringing it up again but I have had no luck sorting it out. I like what I've seen of Linux mint 9 so far but this modem issue is really putting a damper on things.

When reading through the forums I found I had to run lsusb. It seems to recognise the device as an Huawei E220 modem, however, I have to add the mobile broadband connection manually. When I try to "dial up" it just shows the "not connected" message. I'm not sure if there are simply dial up settings which need to be added for my isp provider (vodacom) or if there is a hardware recognition problem.

The device does also show up as an additional drive. I was not sure if I was meant to run "modeswitch" as I had also read on the forum. If I am meant to, I have not figured out how to do that.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Wayne
PS, I am a newbie, only installed Liunx Mint 9 last night. I chose to remove Microsoft windows from my machine so am currently only running Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alpha1

Re: USB Modem not connecting

Post by alpha1 »

Install usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data from ubuntu repos.
(Just download the .deb files and double clikc them)
weaston

Post by weaston »

Thanks Alpha 1

Do I still need to run modeswitch even though lsusb command show the device as a modem?

I found and downloaded the attached list of .deb files on BetaVine forge. I could not find the modeswitch - data. deb file though.

I'm not sure what the other two on my list are for but downloaded them incase they are of some benefit.

Thanks

PS, I am not running a 64 bit machine, will the list that I downloaded work on my 32 bit machine?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

alpha1 wrote:usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data
weaston wrote:PS, I am not running a 64 bit machine, will the list that I downloaded work on my 32 bit machine?
you would want to use the 32bit packages since you do not have a 64bit machine. Both of the modeswitch packages are available through Synaptic/Package Manager. Just open Synaptic ( > Menu > Package Manager ) enter modeswitch into the QuickSearch area, select the two packages and install. And yse you would want to install both of them.
weaston

Post by weaston »

Thanks Dawgdoc,

I went home last night and installed both usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data. I found both in the Mint Software manager (is this the same as what you were refering to "Synaptic/Package Manager")

The problem I had was that when I selected the install icon, the instalation started, got to 5% and then stopped. Due to the fact that I couldn't get them to install via the software manager, I instaled using the following downloads,

usb-modeswitch-data_20100707-1_all.deb
usb-modeswitch_1.1.3-1_i386.deb

These are both newer releases than the ones I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I restarted my machine, plugged in the modem. A cd drive icon appeared on my desktop homepage. I added a mobile broadband connection manually and attempted to "connect". Alas it failed to connect again....

Not sure what I am doing wrong, please help.

Regards,
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

first thing - if usb-modeswithc has been installed correctly and working fine you should have two different results for lsusb.
One would be before you installed the usb-modeswitch and the other one would be after.
That implies that earlier your PC was recognising your modem as a USB storage device, and now it recognizes as a modem.

Is that happening?

PS: If all this is too troublesome for you - I observed that Isadora KDE does not require usb-modeswitch for my 3G modem, whereas Gnome does!
I really don't know why.

Similarly mint 8 also doesn't require this usb-modeswithc program. It also correctly identified as modem.
weaston

Post by weaston »

Attached are the results for lsusb before installing modeswitch. The way I understood the result is that Mint 9 did recognise it as a modem even before installing modeswitch yet even though this seems to be the case it would still not connect to the internet.

I think the lsusb result after modeswitch is the same as before but will check when I get home.
Computer-Doc-JP

Post by Computer-Doc-JP »

Hello,

I just solved the problem to Huawei modems not connecting in Linux Mint KDE 9.

I just recently created a post called How to connect a modem in linux mint KDE 9...

It is so easy, and yet you don't even need to install any software. What's the point of having a GUI if its purpose is not to make life simpler.

Here's the link to my Wiki:
http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-a-Modem- ... g-Software

You could also check my site out as well:
http://computerdocjp.yolasite.com/

Return to “Hardware Support”