Modem recognized as modem or mass storage

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
weaston

Modem recognized as modem or mass storage

Post by weaston »

Hi There,

1.)Please see the attached lsusb results and let me know if Linux Mint 9 is recognizing my modem as a modem or as a mass storage device.
lsusb.png
2.)To me it looks like it is recognized as a modem, HOWEVER, when I plug it in it shows up as a new cd drive and mass storage device as well.
LInux Mint Drives.png
3.)I know that I need to install usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data if it is showing up as a mass storage device. Once it is installed, is there a run command or does it "start working" straight away? The last time I tried to install the modeswitch packages, my lsusb results were no different and Mint was still showing both a CD and Mass storage device when the modem was plugged in.

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Modem recognized as modem or mass storage

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If lsusb is showing the device as a Modem, that's the important thing. The device does have some storage capacity so it will show up as a storage device in your file browser.

I get a similar result with my AT&T 3g Modem. It shows in lsusb as a modem and in file browser as a storage device. It works fine out of the box without installing usb-modeswitch.

Of course this is a different device than you are using so I can't make any predictions on how your modem will work, but I have seen posts from members who are using Huawei modems without any extra software - just plug in and configure Network Connections, Mobile Broadband.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Is there any plans to make changes to linux kernel so that it detects such devices?

I have been reading about arguments against Usb-modeswitch etc - but then who is getting it implemented in the kernel?
And when?

Mobile USB has been in existence for ages now.
weaston

Post by weaston »

Aging Technogeek wrote:just plug in and configure Network Connections, Mobile Broadband.
I have tried manually adding an new mobile broadband connection. I then attempted dialing up and had no luck. Are there ISP provider settings I need to add to the connection in order for it to work or should it work just by selecting the appropriate service provider from the list. (In my case Vodacom - South Africa)

Thanks,
weaston

[SOLVED]Re: Modem recognized as modem or mass storage

Post by weaston »

Solved

Return to “Hardware Support”