Mint 8 -vs- Broadcom 4312 after power failure

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilverOne

Mint 8 -vs- Broadcom 4312 after power failure

Post by SilverOne »

Hi,
I am having issues with my broadcom 4312 wireless card in Mint 8 Main Edition after an odd situation that resulted in my battery giving out when the laptop was in mid-process of hibernating. Basically my wireless card up and vanished from my Network Connection and my built in wireless light vanished.
lspci still shows the card as being there. I have done everthing I can think of (including googling for a resolution) and I came across this post which fit the closest.
I attempted to follow the same steps that worked for the original issue.
I have gone into the software manager and re-installed everything wireless (after using terminal to clear the apt-get downloaded cache), and that didnt work.
Every time I attempt to activate the sta drivers it tells me to refer to the jockey.log, which after reading another thread I think I found information that would be requested:

Code: Select all

2010-08-18 11:13:16,048 DEBUG: loading custom handler /usr/share/jockey/handlers/b43.py
2010-08-18 11:13:16,125 DEBUG: Instantiated Handler subclass __builtin__.B43LegacyHandler from name B43LegacyHandler
2010-08-18 11:13:16,126 DEBUG: Broadcom B43legacy wireless driver availability undetermined, adding to pool
2010-08-18 11:13:16,148 DEBUG: Instantiated Handler subclass __builtin__.B43Handler from name B43Handler
2010-08-18 11:13:16,149 DEBUG: Broadcom B43 wireless driver availability undetermined, adding to pool
2010-08-18 11:13:16,149 DEBUG: loading custom handler /usr/share/jockey/handlers/broadcom_wl.py
2010-08-18 11:13:16,169 WARNING: modinfo for module wl failed: ERROR: modinfo: could not find module wl
So just as in this post I tried in terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe wl
FATAL: Module wl not found.
I will be trying a few more things in attempts to get it working, so far google hasnt really be assisting, then again been having issues accessing some sites period due to isp issues.

So please let me know if there is anything specific needed and I will post it
If anyone would be able to assist in getting my internal wireless working so I can stop using an SMC usb wireless adaptor to get online I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
SilverOne
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Mint 8 -vs- Broadcom 4312 after power failure

Post by bobcollard »

Might try this link, it has helped people in the past.:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1347483&page=2
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne »

I tried everything on all 7 pages of that post with no luck, I just finished downloading and burning Mint 9 Main and burning it onto CD. Since mint 8 is losing full support in a few months I might as well test the functionality from the live cd now because I do not want to end up with a rather expensive paperweight lol
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

From my experience with a Broadcom 4312. I do know they burn out. Mine did on my Dell, specs in signature. I removed the Broadcom card and bought a Netgear WG111v3 USB network card, looks like a USB thumb drive. You don't have to worry about drivers, it's built into the card. Price is around $30.00 US, shop around.
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne »

I am actually testing the wireless with Mint 9, so far its working, which proves to me its a configuration issue with Mint 8 now. Probably from the forced shutdown from loss of power. Oh well, I will keep trying to resolve this until tomorrow, if I can't get it fixed by then I will just do a fresh install with Mint 9 since 9 has the long term support.

*EDIT*
Tests confirm, the issue is within the Linux Mint 8 already installed on my laptop. Since so far I have been unsuccessful with all attempts to resolve short of re-installing I will be doing just that. I was at least able to find out why I was having issues getting so some of the links found via google, and it was because of my isp having routing issues. So I followed a few more guides available on the net and as stated already, was not successful in fixing the issue.
Time for my laptop to say hello to my planned triple boot lol.

Return to “Hardware Support”