Nvidia restricted driver

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greeny

Nvidia restricted driver

Post by greeny »

Hi! I just installed Mint 9 Fluxbox edition and i'm asked to install the "nvidia restricted driver". I used Ubuntu and Mint with Gnome or KDE, so the restricted driver was necessary if i wanted to activate desktop effects and use compiz... Here in Mint Fluxbox, i guess, there is no desktop effects and compiz, so my question is: Do i really need to activate this driver or not? what will it give to me?

My specs: Mint 9 Fluxbox P4 3.0GHz Nvidia 9400GT 2G RAM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mmesantos1

Re: Nvidia restricted driver

Post by mmesantos1 »

greeny wrote:Hi! I just installed Mint 9 Fluxbox edition and i'm asked to install the "nvidia restricted driver". I used Ubuntu and Mint with Gnome or KDE, so the restricted driver was necessary if i wanted to activate desktop effects and use compiz... Here in Mint Fluxbox, i guess, there is no desktop effects and compiz, so my question is: Do i really need to activate this driver or not? what will it give to me?

My specs: Mint 9 Fluxbox P4 3.0GHz Nvidia 9400GT 2G RAM
Hi greeny,
You do not have to enable restricted drivers. You may notice better playback of flash content or videos with the restricted driver but it is not required. :)

Return to “Hardware Support”