Back porting?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LonePiper

Back porting?

Post by LonePiper »

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I did a bit of a search here and on the 'net in general and I couldn't find the answers I was after.
I was thinking about posting this in the video cards section, but I think my question has more to do with back porting in general.
I've got myself a brand new machine with an onboard realtek alc892 sound card. Now my problem is there's no proper linux driver for it and I only get it in stereo and without the full complement of channels on the mixer because my system's obviously defaulting to a generic driver. In my searches on the 'net I keep seeing the suggestion to backport the kernel. I vaguely understand what this means, but I'm completely clueless as to how it's done. Can anyone give me any pointers?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LonePiper

Post by LonePiper »

Sorry for the bump guys, but I'm still having some trouble with this.
I've found out a bit more. Have I got it right that backporting is installing part or all of a newer kernel into your older one? And if so, why doesn't a new distro automatically come with it, and why can't I get it as an update through my regular package and update managers?
Anyway, apparently there's support for my soundcard on the 2.6.33 kernel, but I still have no idea where to find it or how to install it. Would I need to install the whole kernel, or is there some way to just get the part that I need?
I've found something that looks promising here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... 3.3-lucid/, but I'm afraid of installing it - I really don't want to mess with the colonel, I mean my kernel unless I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to bork my whole system.
richyrich

Re: Back porting?

Post by richyrich »

From the Tutorials section of the forum . . :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 85&start=0
LonePiper

Re: Back porting?

Post by LonePiper »

Oh, wow! Thanks!
How did I not know to check the tutorials?
*Remembers to check the tutorials in future*

Quick edit: Just did exactly what the tutorial said, and it worked like a friggin charm! Quick, easy, painless, hassle-free! I think using Windows too long has made me a bit paranoid about this sort of thing...

Return to “Hardware Support”