blank dvd not seen

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BAK

blank dvd not seen

Post by BAK »

when I put a blank dvd in my computer it is not seen. it's not the burning software(meaning the is doesn't know it's there. it's like it's not in the drive at all) or my hardware ( I installed Linux mint 9 using the same type of dvd). any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
isadora

Re: blank dvd not seen

Post by isadora »

Happened everyone sometime i guess.
Sometimes you have one of these brands of media that are just not recognized by your device.
Check the device manufacturers' site to find out about recommended media.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

I have this problem. I attempted the fix suggested by markcynt, and it didn't work. It runs all other DVDs just fine, and Mint was installed from the same stack as this DVD. Other DVDs tried, it isn't an issue with the DVD or the hardware, it is Mint. A friend of mine said something about codecs being needed, but I can't find anything on Google. I had this same problem when I was trying Ubuntu, then a reinstall magically fixed it. Help, please.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Just a suggestion : Open Synaptic Package Manager, type gnome-codec-install, and try a right-click -> Mark for Re-Installation . . apply, close, logout/login, or even reboot . .
jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

richyrich wrote:Just a suggestion : Open Synaptic Package Manager, type gnome-codec-install, and try a right-click -> Mark for Re-Installation . . apply, close, logout/login, or even reboot . .
This didn't work. Further, I have tried installing the non-free-codecs and a different disk burner. Still nothing.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I remember reading right here in these forums about a simple single install . . now I don't remember what file, and can't find it . . . I'll keep searching.
jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

Thanks for helping, I've got nothing!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Found it on ubuntu forums . .
This is not an error message; it's a normal (informational) message that you will get every time you insert a blank disc. The same message will also be displayed with a coaster (bad burn) disc or with a highly damaged and scratched disc.
the install I remember above, was something to do with Brasero . .

source : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... vd#p191950
jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

richyrich wrote:Found it on ubuntu forums . .
This is not an error message; it's a normal (informational) message that you will get every time you insert a blank disc. The same message will also be displayed with a coaster (bad burn) disc or with a highly damaged and scratched disc.
the install I remember above, was something to do with Brasero . .
I don't get any error messages, so I'm not sure what this is about :?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Quoted from the link I gave above . .

by pdc_2 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:33 pm

if I further comment that I ran

Code: Select all

tail -f /var/log/messages
in a terminal when I put the blank DVD in the drive:

and I see I got the response
pdc-desktop kernel: [ 4413.512745] cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
So, you can try it, open a terminal, type or copy the green text above (enter), then insert a blank dvd, and see if you get the same message as the "pdc . . . .
jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

I tried those commands. Output:

Code: Select all

Feb  2 00:29:15 justin-extreme-home-computer nautilus: [N-A] Nautilus-Actions Menu Extender 2.30.2 initializing...
Feb  2 00:29:15 justin-extreme-home-computer nautilus: [N-A] Nautilus-Actions Tracker 2.30.2 initializing...
Feb  2 00:29:15 justin-extreme-home-computer pppd[1719]: PAP authentication succeeded
Feb  2 00:29:15 justin-extreme-home-computer pppd[1719]: peer from calling number *censored* authorized
Feb  2 00:29:15 justin-extreme-home-computer pppd[1719]: local  IP address *censored*
Feb  2 00:29:15 justin-extreme-home-computer pppd[1719]: remote IP address *censored*
Feb  2 00:29:15 justin-extreme-home-computer pppd[1719]: primary   DNS address *censored*
Feb  2 00:29:15 justin-extreme-home-computer pppd[1719]: secondary DNS address *censored*
Feb  2 00:31:36 justin-extreme-home-computer sudo: pam_sm_authenticate: Called
Feb  2 00:31:36 justin-extreme-home-computer sudo: pam_sm_authenticate: username = [justin]
And... then it stops. It doesn't give me control of the terminal back, and provides no new information.
Last edited by jmhoffer on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

hmmm . . have you checked the manufacturers support website to see if there is a firmware update for your burner ?
jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

I haven't, but I had this problem when I was using Ubuntu, and then a reinstall and update made it disappear. In searching, it appears it was a major bug on Ubuntu that was recently fixed. I'll see if I can get a firmware update and let you know.

Update: I checked for a firmware upgrade, but can only find an executable. I'll have to install it from Windows and get back to you.
jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

Firmware upgrade accomplished nothing.

The drive is an LG GSA-H22N, though seeing as only blank DVDs don't work, that information will most likely be useless.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yup, unless you have a faulty drive, or loose/bad cabling, or a master/slave issue with the pins/cabling . . I'm lost too . . sorry I can't help more . . but please be sure to let us know if you find anything . . good luck, richy
jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

It suddenly works. The only thing I can think of is I threw in a movie to double check that it was still working. Played just fine, so I took the movie out and put in the blank. Suddenly, the blank is detected. After I'm done burning the DVD, I'll do some more testing to see if I can figure out what happened.
jmhoffer

Post by jmhoffer »

Now not only are the blank DVDs not working, but nothing is. This is definitely a Mint problem. Every once in a while it randomly decides to work. I might just have to go back to Ubuntu.

Return to “Hardware Support”